win98 firewall

Well, I would not call this exposure or how do you know that someone found out the IP address through usenet. The internet is frequently scanned by all kind of scam for vulnerable systems. Couldn't it be just as well a coincidence? (I am not saying that it was not because of the usenet post, it just seems unlikely to me and I am curious about this...)

This is IMHO impossible and I'm sure everyone else will agree unless it was a vulnerablity of the TCP/IP stack itself. If it was the stack then it remains questionable if a software firewall on the same computer using the same stack would have a chance to protect you. An external firewall seems not to help either here because if it was some kind of illegal IP packet I would assume that your ISP's router would dump something like that long before it gets to you...

So I still don't see how your computer has been hacked from the outside without you doing something even if it is just clicking on a link in a post or maybe a HTML post/email with included picture... A computer that does not have open ports is not vulnerable to simple hacking from the internet, it would run for months and years safely just like that.

There is lots of information about why people need PFW although it is not generally true either. The cert URL does recommend an external firewall. They don't really say why except the general assumption which are true for any system just because it is easier to install something else then to reconfigure a system so that nothing is listening.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt
Loading thread data ...

Yea, but Gerald says you don't need any protection on Win98. It's hacker safe as is.

Reply to
Connected

I think you overestimate what hackers can do. ;-)

Well, I suppose we won't find out what happened in your case. I am not aware that it is possible nor find any clear evidence describing something like you write. I find some IP stack vulnerablities which crash or slow down the system but no pointers to exploits to break into the computer. Probably I am using the wrong keywords in google...

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Yea, I shut down lots of services.

Reply to
Connected

Geez, don't you guys watch TV? Hackers can do anything. Everything is accessable over the internet, and simply typing "override" will bypass all protection schemes. :)

But my all time favorite Hollywood trick is connecting a tape drive to the printer port and booting from a backup tape.

Reply to
Renegade

I'm just expressing my personal view. I'm not trying to impose it on anyone. I will say that I have never had an installation problem with ZA

- maybe I am in the minority.

Reply to
Echy

If it crashes as often as it did on my PC, he is right. It wouldn't stay up long enough to get hacked. :)

Reply to
Renegade

Yes, but you need a server listing to accept the connections. Your honey pot played server and logged what happened. If nothing is listening, any connection attempt will just end with a "cannot connect".

XP and ME do have many services running by default unless you manually turn them off. Therefore you need a firewall.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.