A recommendable firewall

Hello! My hardware firewall has crashed and i'm planning to set up a linux firewall on a 386. I have no experience of linux firewalls so what i am asking is if anybody out there has any good experience with different software firwalls for linux and could recommend one.

With Regards // Phoscy

Reply to
phoscy
Loading thread data ...

I can't help with Linux (I'm a noob with it), but if you spend about $50 you can get a Linksys router that provides NAT for Cable/DSL connections and it will protect your linux box and your other computers until you learn enough to really secure them.

Reply to
Leythos

Depending on how difficult of a setup you have you can use arno's iptabels script which will be easy to set up for a n00b. Also the checkpoint SPLAT install is a redhat install with the checkpoint software on it and has a nice easy gui to use. But if you are only talking about two nics the arno's is free.

Deceptocon

Reply to
deceptocon

Reply to
gene martinez

formatting link
but you will probably want something a little bigger than a 386. Check out the web site for more information.

Reply to
Mike

If he wants he can also give a try to our bastion-firewall GPL software. It's very easy to config and use, and it supports any number of interfaces.

Regards.

Reply to
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez

If you are a "noob", I suggest you try the smoothwall distribution.

formatting link
It can be downloaded as an iso image, and is bootable.

If you want to have a really rock-solid firewall, you would do well to spend some time reading at

formatting link
. It's not as difficult as it sounds, you just *have* to read the manual. ;)

_4ltern4te_Stre4m_

Reply to
_4ltern4te_Stre4m_

If you must spam, do it with a web site in English!!! jeez!

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.