While on the subject of PCANYWHERE

I was once able to connect with a friend's machine in Canada.

Now I cannot.

I have the correct IP address, as far as I can see all the boxes are ticked on my machine. I have checked that he followed my instructions as given to me by my computer engineer.

Followed all the instructioin to configure as a host, using the wizard.

Any ideas why his machine suddenly won't let me in.

According to his ISP everything should work, his machine works, we are still friends so he ain't keeping me out, he wants an occasion bit of help.

Configuration via Symantec PC Anywhere Version 11.0.1 seems simple enough to sort out via the wizard. Both have broadband connections Win XP Pro

John Boy

Reply to
John Boy
Loading thread data ...

Has SP2 come out in between now and your last connect? It probably installed firewalls on one or both sides that are preventing communication.

Add a port exception for UDP 5632 and TCP 5631 to the windows firewall or any other firewall you're using, to allow PCAW through.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

I thought of that, not for the same reason. I let Netgear take care of my firewall.

As far as I know the other end have checked and double checked the firewall and recently had a problem trying to install SP2 so let that go for a while.

Reply to
John Boy

Does she have a netgear or other router?

Reply to
Somebody.

Since it is XP Pro, have him turn on MS Remote Desktop and log into his PC with that. Then you can inspect the PCAnywhere yourself. You may need to uninstall norton and reinstall. I had an odler version of pc anywhere that had trouble after a WIndows update.

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

Reply to
John Boy

Just make sure he turns on Remote Desktop not Remote Assistance. I use RDP to customers and my home all the time. Very useful. I stopped using PC anywhere once RDP came with XP.

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

We use VNC or TightVNC running on a non-standard port with a password so that we/they can see the actions as though we're sitting there. When I've used remote desktop it locks out the users on their side until I'm done...

Reply to
Leythos

I believe Remote Assistance does that functionality, however it is by invitation only. The host must invite the remote.

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

In situations where you can't connect directly due to a firewall, I've found

formatting link
to be very, very useful. It's by invite only also, but it works behind firewalls unless the place has taken specific measures against it.

Plus it's useful in the general sense for meetings, as you can show the screen (or app) in question to mulitple other people at the same time and hand keyboard control to whoever you want.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.