Whats the best to use?

I am currently using Trend PC-Cillin, and love it. It has never let me down. But I want to begin using firewalls for security purposes and found that I am not satisfied with Trends. I was looking to use ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but found that the reviews on it were not all that great. A friend of mine belongs to a group and they all use McAfee, except two of em use Norton. So right not I am trying to figure out what to do? Should I stick with Trend, and find a stand alone firewall, or switch to another virus scan all together like Norton or McAfee?

Reply to
thejackle85
Loading thread data ...

I am looking to be able to set up my computer so that anything I do, I dont have to worry about some one getting onto it and screwing it up. I am not your average moron when it comes to computers, but I still have a great deal to learn. Internet security is one thing I wish to learn. I do not have Trend's 2005, I have 2003. The firewall setting on it is very limited. As a basic summary of what I am looking for in a firewall is something that I can trust to protect my system from more than just little junior nerds in their parents basements practicing their hacking skills and something I can use to learn on. I am not worried about how complex the program is, that just means more and better learning.

Reply to
thejackle85

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com in a fit of insanity said in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Presently using Pc-Cillin internet security 2005 as a stop gap after a nightmare couple of months with norton 2005. It's definately more reliable than nortons latest offering and mcafee has never been great.

Reply to
Cøllap§ed Lûng

You *can* configure Trend's firewall (Version 2005) to allow or deny traffic (in and out) by port, protocol, application and IP address, but it takes some know-how. What exactly are you looking for from a firewall, feature-wise?

Reply to
optikl

Why?

Define 'security purposess'!

- Use Brain 1.0

- Define you needs, define potential threats, look for tools to overcome these. A properly configured system does not need suspect third party tools. Lock down your box, done.

You should simply use BRAIN 1.0 or above.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

find old hardware and build a linux bastille with iptables netfilter

formatting link

Reply to
ToYKillAS

From your description, it sounds like you might be looking for Sygate. I have used it for about three years--first the free then the pro. I has served me well on my Win98 box. Not one problem have I had. Started at v4.x and have upgraded through the versions up to present v5.5. There is a free v5.6. I would recommend you try it. To fully and properly setup Sygate, it will take some learning about ports, protocols, and the workings of internet. The info is available on internet. I started out knowing nothing about firewalls. Here is the story on Sygate:

Unofficial Help:

formatting link
Sygate Forums:
formatting link
Users Guide and Quick Start Guide:
formatting link
Compare SPF Pro and SPF Free (See what's inside each one)
formatting link
d/l
formatting link
Casey

Reply to
Casey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.