Unable to install Checkpoint VPN-1 Securemote

I was recently bitten by the about:home hijack virus as a result of which my Checkpoint Securemote ceased to work. I have uninstalled it and now, when I reinstall I get a dialogue box with "Error

2:GetFileSecurity" followed by Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error! Program C:\\WINDOWS\\TEMP\\_INS5176._MP - abnormal program termination. This (obviously) sounds like a permissions issue but I don't know where to start looking. CheckPoint VPN-1 SecuRemote 4.1 SP-5. Windows XP Pro. Any ideas guys ? Regards. Glyn Balmer
Reply to
Mr B
Loading thread data ...

You have a compromised system and don't know what's going on. And now you want to connect to your company network? Cool!

Hint: reinstall from scratch.

cu, Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Zweimueller

Wolfgang

I shall resist commenting on the above ;-)

Well, this is a very good hint, but reinstall what exactly ? I can't reinstall SecuRemote because of the above error, and I am unfortunateky unable to reinstall XP as I have SP2 installed and when I attempt to uninstall SP2 it throws up a huge list of items it believes will not work if I rollback SP2 - among them 'minor' things like DMA !!!!!!

I'm currently considering using the original CDs to put the whole laptop back to its original position as purchased. Painful - but if this is what's required then so be it - unless, of course, one of you kind gurus out there knows better ??

Regards Glyn

Reply to
Fred Robot

[snip]

The guru says reinstall the system, as in the operating system and all required components, from scratch. Your cannot trust any part of a system that has been compromised, thus a complete reinstall is required. It is painful, but it is the only way to be sure.

Reply to
Eirik Seim

ACK

cu, Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Zweimueller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.