Two software firewalls slow download speed to a halt (sygate, zone alarm)

This is just a warning that running one or two firewalls definately kills performance!

I called my ISP support complaining (erroneously it turns out) that they have slowed down tremendously - so bad that graphic intensive web pages often timed out.

While debugging, they asked me to turn off my two favorite freeware firewalls which were Zone Alarm and Sygate Personal Firewall.

Voila!

My download speed improved tremendously (I don't know how to check the value of the download speed but the difference was immensely noticeable).

My ISP support said I didn't need any firewall since I was using what they called the NAT (the wireless tranmitter) so I turned both off and now I don't have dueling firewalls anymore (that's their term for it).

Anyway, I just figured I'd let others know because this isn't obvious data.

Susan

Reply to
Susan
Loading thread data ...

You really don't need a "Personal Firewall". But having a NAT router, you should configure packet filtering on this device, because NAT is not a security feature.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Volker Birk wrote: > Susan wrote: >

If you don't have that option, shouldn't you keep a firewall working?

Some routers have firewalls which would tell me you still need one.

Reply to
Poster 60

Susan, it is well know that even one PFW can slow response time considerably, due to packet filtering/inspection.

It's a good idea to use the internet to research any system modifications you wish to make before you make them.

Reply to
optikl

Just a warning - if your computer is slowed enough by having the firewall enable, then you are seeing enough connection attempts that you don't want to disable your PFW (Personal Firewall) for ANY amount of time.

In order to properly setup your network, you need a simple inbound barrier device - they are called NAT Routers, sometimes mistakenly called Firewalls by vendors. They are cheap units that block INBOUND but allow you to still reach services on the Internet.

These devices mean you could still run your ZA product, but that it would not have to work as hard since all of the unsolicited attempts to connect to your computer would be blocked at the NAT Router.

In general, every home should be protected, at least, by a NAT Router.

Reply to
Leythos

I should have summarized that I left the NAT wireless router alone as I do not know how to configure it anyway. It was set up by my older brother for me years ago and has been working just fine ever since.

Since I liked features of Zone Alarm and of Sygate Personal Firewall, I had to choose one. When I ran both, the WinXP machine slowed down to a crawl for my web browsing. When I ran either one alone, WinXP downloaded just fine. It was of course faster with neither firewall running - but that isn't an option I don't think. I am constantly amazed at the number of wierd things either one blocks! I don't know what half of them are but I'm glad they are being blocked. I look at the traffic logs in amazement.

Anyway, I'm using right now just the NAT wireless router and the Sygate Personal Firewall. One by one I'm looking at the traffic logs to try to better understand what it is that the firewall is blocking so I can learn more about this cryptic profession you guys seem to be experts at.

Thank you for your advice! Susan

Reply to
Susan

Running two software firewalls is almost always a bad performance or stability situation. Just like running two AV solutions at once. Both programs will try to use/access/hijack the same resources, and will fight each other and the OS.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Then this will be a good idea. You could use the Windows-Firewall, for example, or configure your PC for not offering services, which could be abused, like Torsten describes here:

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.