Trouble with network using netgear router

I have a netgear wired router used to share the internet from a cable modem to 4 computers. Before this I used a regular hub a proxy server installed on one of the computers. The problem I am having since using the router instead of the hub, is that I am no longer able to share files and printers between the computers. It seems that some sort of security setting inside the router is keeping the computers from connecting using windows file sharing and printer sharing. To resolve this I connected my hub into the router and connected all the computers into the hub. The router is still serving as the DHCP server and assigns IP addresses and I'm able to share files and printers normally now with the hub. Is there a way around this without using the hub?

Any info is greatly appriciated!!!

Reply to
michael_holstein
Loading thread data ...

There is no way that a router has anything stopping the machines from networking, unless there is some setting on the router that's stopping the LAN IP(s) from sending and receiving traffic on the Windows Networking ports 137-139 UDP and 445 TCP (NT only), which I doubt the router is doing that.

What O/S are you talking about?

I have seen XP machines not be able to share resources with each other on Linksys wire routers until the protocol on the NIC's were changed to use MS NWlink IPX SPX protocol.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Windows ICS forces the NIC address to 192.168.0.1 which rases at least two issues:

1) this may be an IP conflict for your existing lan on the other nic 2) to get correct routing, you will need a subnet mask and an IP address on nic#2 that will pass traffic correctly, eg 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.240.0
Reply to
Jeff B

Thanks for the help. I am using windows XP professional on 2 computers and then mac OS X (the latest verison). The IP addresses are not conflicting, I no longer use ICS. It has to be something in the router because with no changes to any of the software I can connect the computers directly to the router and am unable to view the network, but the internet works. But if I connect a hub to a port on the router and then connect all the computers into the hub, no changes in software, everything works fine, file share etc. I even tried connected a couple computers to the hub and a couple to the router. The ones on the hub could see each other, but could not see the ones connected to the router. Nor could the ones connected to the router see any shared files/printers. I dont have the manual to the router anymore so I'l have to go to their website and download it I guess. It was purchased at walmart in 2004 so its not the latest model, maybe I should try upgradeing to a newer router or a different make.

Thanks for the > michael snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.