tcp/udp block necessary?

I had problems connecting to the Internet, browsers, email, IRC etc. unless i disabled Norton Internet Security. I tried various things to correct it and finally ended up in System Wide Settings where i found a filter blocking all communications via tcp/udp, so i unchecked it and was able to connect to the Internet with Norton running.

The filter had a weird description which wasn't in English or any language, just odd symbols. If i disabled and renabled the programm the check mark activing the filter would automatically come back. I deleted the filter so it wouldn't come back.

Is my system compromised by not having this filter? Do i need to block tcp/udp?

Reply to
SweetVenom Bob
Loading thread data ...

Pardon me for saying, but Norton is one of the biggest pieces of trash that I have ever encountered in all my playing with software firewalls. I recently installed my old copy of NPF 2003 on a brand new fresh install of Win2k, and had it auto-configure all my programs, and nothing would work or connect to the internet. Spent an hour messing with it and got nowhere either. Tried playing with the rules and every other setting available. I then uninstalled it, and it completely hosed my system, rendering Windows Update useless and non-functional, as well as browsing and so on. I have never seen a bigger piece of garbage in my life.

Sorry for the unsolicited opinion, but I couldn't resist. In my very humble opinion, you'd be much better off with ANY other firewall. But if you remove it, be prepared for the need for a fresh reformat and install of Windows.

Reply to
Kerodo

norton works fine for me.

Reply to
Joe

If it works fine for you then great. It was a nightmare for me. I was a long time NAV user and thought I'd try the firewall too. Bad decision...

Reply to
Kerodo

I've found the firewall crap in norton at one point, but i think i worked it out, can't remember. it was ticking me off and then i decided to disable it cus it was causing too many problems, it should have worked the way it was set, but it refused to let some apps online even tho it was set correctly. it pissed me off and eventually i just figured it out or something, but i forget how.

Reply to
Joe

Yes. Norton only works as long you don't have problems. Once the problems start...

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.