Sygate Personal Firewall V5.6 + Win2K: woes ...

Sygate IS a little high on CPU usage...

I looked around myself and can't find 5.5 free anywhere. Just 5.6. If you can't find a backup copy, perhaps someone here will post a link to it.

There are plenty of other free firewalls out there also, if you're willing to try some of them...

formatting link

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

I have just upgraded from V5.5 to V5.6 of Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF), which is free to non-business users, "because it was there". I am running Win2K, which is fully up to date and patched (according to Micro$oft). V5.5 worked fine for me, although I was slightly concerned about its CPU usage - but it did the job.

Now I find, with V5.6, it does very little after being started ("smc -start") for about 15 seconds. Then, it starts making thread after thread, until eventually it gives up and crashes. (I watched its behaviour using Task Manager process page.) V5.5 used no more than three threads, IIRC. Until I find the installation image for V5.5 again, I am firewall-less.

Can anyone suggest remedies?

John johnDOTmorrisonATtescoDOTnet

Reply to
John Morrison

"John Morrison" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Many many stories of problems with 5.6.

Never delete your old installers. Put them on a CD if nothing else.

Reply to
elaich

If you go to their web site and look in the forum for the freeware version, there are many reports of problems with 5.6 such as you report. There are a links given to 5.5, which is what most are rolling back to. I had problems similar to yours with WIN XP. Going back to 5.5 solved that.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P. Biddle

On 27 Dec 2004, "John Morrison" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

In my case, I had all kinds of problems with Sygate 5.5, and I had to roll back to 5.1. I was relieved to find that ver. 5.6 worked very well for me.

I still have my v. 5.5 installer, so if you can't find a copy elswhere, I'll be happy send one to you. Just remove the obvious spamblock in my email address.

Reply to
Nil

Alan P. Biddle wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yet, there was a vulnerability prior to build 5.5.2725, so to have full protection, you need a build from that one on.

5.6 seems to work OK on my dual boot ME/2000 box.
Reply to
elaich

elaich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Correction: the vulnerability was before build 2577. Failing memory banks.

The one at this link is build 2710, which is fine:

http://207.33.111.31/spf/spf5.5b2710.exe

Reply to
elaich

Thanks for that quick catch on the build number. I have 2710, and was just about to start looking. In any case, valuable information.

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
Alan P. Biddle

Dear "elaich", and other contributors,

I have taken your advice, and installed the version recommended. It is not doing _quite_ what I hoped, but, compared with V5.6, it is "chalk and cheese".

I have now V5.5 with:

Build 2710 Signature File Serial Number 1.0.1053 Profile Format Number 4.0.2 Profile Serial Number (n/a)

Thank you _very_ much for your help!

John johnDOTmorrisonATtescoDOTnet

Reply to
John Morrison

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.