Sygate personal firewall pro 5.5... outdated?

Hello, I noticed that sygate personal firewall pro 5.5 is a 2003 software, whereas software like zonealarm and kerio is frequently and recently updated with new versions. Should this be a concern?

Reply to
casioculture
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1113839295.443151.293710 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Just because a program is being changed all the time is not always a good thing and can lead to unknown issues. If the program is stable, then why keep changing it just to pull in more revenue. If there is a valid reason for change in a program, then by all means change the program. But if it is not needed then why do it? The old saying is if it's not broke don't fix it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

reverted to

Does this mean that Pro was made free? I'm running "pro" 5.5 build 2710, should I "upgrade" to the "free" version 5.6 build 2808?

Reply to
casioculture

Duane Arnold wrote in news:Xns963C78FF37D54notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17:

An exploit was found in Sygate 5.5. Do not use any version prior to build

2710. Some XP users have reported problems using 5.6 and have reverted to 5.5. 5.5 build 2710 can still be downloaded here:

formatting link

Normally, I agree with this, but in the case of firewalls, browsers, etc. they are usually updated because exploits have been found.

Reply to
elaich

elaich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

What's a browser have to do with this? Of course programs that provide some kind of security have upgrade/update release changes and things of that nature that must be applied to the product. But in the case of theses PFW solutions and their constant functionality changes or new improvements for the sake of attracting more revenue is just that. And most of the junk they have incorporated in theses PFW solutions is bells and whistle junk and have nothing to do with what a FW is suppose to do.

They have gone off the deep-end with a bunch of unnecessary junk in these solutions trying to protect the end-user from them self. As for what the FW part of the personal solutions and I now *hesitate* in calling them FW solutions (lack of better words) is a different matter and I don't think are being patched or updated with how the FW portion of the product works. As an example, Kerio 2.15 stop being updated long ago but people still use it until they are forced to make a change to another product. I'll continue to run the purchased version of the firmware for my WatchGuard FW appliance until I am forced to change because I got a security notice and that notice was of concern to me and forced me to upgrade the firmware.

If Sygate has not seen fit to make any additional bells and whistle changes or improvements to the product and have continued with the maintenance of their current product, then why should they do anything else to the product with bloat crap trying to bring in more revenue?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The only feature lacking in Sygate that I know of was not having control over local host (127.0.0.1). I understand it will be included in the next major version upgrade. What exploit was found. Version 5.5 build 2710 is the last Pro version. Version 5.6 build 2808 is free Casey

Reply to
Casey

On 18 Apr 2005 17:14:39 -0700, in article , posted in comp.security.firewalls, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote this message after putting on his or her pantyhose:

The Pro version hasen't been made free.Version 5.6 build 2808 is the free version and the Pro version 5.6 is still in beta testing.I don't know when it will be released.You can get the Pro beta here if you want to use it.I'm using it and it is working good.I installed it right over version 5.5 build

2710 and haven't had any problems.

formatting link

Pantyhoseman

Reply to
Pantyhoseman

Sygate kept slowing my pc and it took 2 minutes to load. I got rid of it and installed Outpost, its much better.

Reply to
C.D.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.