strange iptables/bridge behaviour

I've noticed some very strange behaviour in my firewall lately. If I do a port scan on my desktop machine (XP) from a site like security.symantec.com then I get some open ports listed, such as

25,80,110... These ports aren't open on my machine, fport even says so. If I explicitly block 110 on my firewall the scan still reports it as being open. I'm using Fedora Core 4 with 2.6.11-1 kernel and iptables to filter traffic over a bridge. When I block 110 I insert a rule like this:

iptables -I FORWARD 1 -p tcp --dport 110 -j DROP

the packet counters for this rule are incrementing when I port scan, so packets are matching. Has anyone seen anything like this before??? Is it possible that something upstream from my firewall is causing this???

Beau

Reply to
beau
Loading thread data ...

Personally I wouldn't trust port scanning sites like that. Between you and them there are probably ISP firewalls that filter stuff out like SMTP and other services. For instance, if I scan myself with nmap from my Linux server out on the net to my cable modem (which only has a router behind it with no open ports) I get the following results:

PORT STATE SERVICE

135/tcp filtered msrpc 139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn 445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds 593/tcp filtered http-rpc-epmap 1433/tcp filtered ms-sql-s 1521/tcp filtered oracle 3306/tcp filtered mysql 4444/tcp filtered krb524 6106/tcp filtered isdninfo

My ISP filters those ports so they show up in the scan (albeit as filtered in nmap) but perhaps symantec sees them as open?

I would try having a friend on the same ISP scan you, or perhaps scan yourself from work using nmap or some other port scanner to get better results. This way you can avoid any firewall filtering except for your own ISP's filters (if they have any).

You could always just scan yourself internally from behind your router.

You'll probably notice from each scan (friend on ISP, work, internally behind your router) you will get different results depending on the different filters you encounter along the way.

So go ahead and experiment on your own, don't trust those web based scans. There is only one web based scan that I do slightly trust a little more than symantec and that's at GRC.com, it's called "shields up", but I prefer the manual way (nmap).

Reply to
Nicholas DePetrillo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.