SSH through Firewall

Newbee Question, I have the following firewall config

Eth0 (external IP)----Firewall----Internal Network LAN(internal IPs)

We have started firewall and blocked ssh initially. Now we need to open ssh port in the firewall. From within the Internal I can SSH firewall and be able login but even after opening the port 22 and starting sshd service at Firewall I am unable to get into the system from the outside Internet. Any pointers shall be welcome. Many thanks Karmath

Reply to
gaur_ms
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I have the following firewall config

:Eth0 (external IP)----Firewall----Internal Network LAN(internal IPs)

:We have started firewall and blocked ssh initially. Now we need to open :ssh port in the firewall. From within the Internal I can SSH firewall :and be able login but even after opening the port 22 and starting sshd :service at Firewall I am unable to get into the system from the outside :Internet.

This question would be rather easier to answer if we knew what model of firewall you were using, the softwar version involved, and if you showed us the parts of the configuration file that are relevant to allowing inward access. At last count, there were exactly

17439 different ways of configuring firewalls to do what you want to do, and I don't think I have time today to list more than the first 38 of them.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

What software are you using in what configuration? RTFM is all I can offer for now. ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

ssh xx.yy.zz.aa 255.255.255.255 outside ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside ssh 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside ssh timeout 5

xx.yy.zz.aa (external IP)

192.168.1.0 (your internal network)

do not forget add some user and set password

Robert

Reply to
Robert

We are using IPTABLES firewall on Redhat Linux.

-karmath

Reply to
gaur_ms

^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^ iptables is iptables and the rules are loaded by some form of shell script no matter whether the Linux distribution is RedHat, SuSE, Debian or whatever else. There might be some minor differences depending on the (kernel) version but in general you might find reading the documentation of iptables (and writing of shell scripts)quite useful.

formatting link
Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.