win 2003 pop server + multiple domains behind a firewall

I am setting up a win2003 server and using the built in pop server to serve up multiple domains.

The server has two email / web domains. the two outside ips for the domans map to the web server internal IPs of

10.10.10.10 domain 1 and 10.10.10.11 for domain 2 The web sites work fine, but how do I configure the pop servers?

There isn't any configuration in the pop services to link to an ip address. I guess each server does a lookup for the mx record matching the domain name assigned to it, to get its ip but that woudl be the outside ip address not the internal non-routable ips.

Anyone know how to set tis up? Thanks.

Reply to
Austin
Loading thread data ...

I am assuming that you have DNS/MX entries for the POP-Servers?

If so, you forward those MX entry IP's inbound to your POP-Server. You are correct, the POP-Server is configured for mail based on domain name, that IP address would be your external IP (which will be directed to your hosts by the DNS tables) which will be forwarded internally to your POP-Server/s.

You should be able to configure your Firewall to forward all 110 traffic bound for a certain IP/DNS name internally to your Pop-Servers.

Good Luck!

Sm00ter

Reply to
smooter

Your probably looking at having to pass specific formatted user credentials to get to the correct domain if you cannot bind POP3 to a specific IP. Like in Exchange 2003, you have to use domain\\username\\alias, just like that as the username. Anyway, you ought to consider getting a real mail server anyway. Look at MDaemon

formatting link
it will do what you want and more, and is priced well.

Reply to
Munpe Q

Thanks for the comments. Indeed I was thinking about this wrong.

The correct pop server/domain is found by the users logon which is fully qualified by the domain, snipped-for-privacy@domain.com not by the ip as is the case for web servers.

So you don't even have to be concerned with internal ips (like you do fo rmultiple web server based on ips) for pop servers.

All is needed is to have the mx records setup correctly to get you to the firewal and then forward all 110 requests to any ip hosted on the machine.

MDeamon looks good. I have been using rockliffmailsite but it has been overkill for12< users.

I am go>I am setting up a win2003 server and using the built in pop server to

Reply to
Austin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.