Sonicwall OWA troubles

Hello, I have OWA published to the web through my SW TZ170 and all is working when outside the LAN by hitting the FQDN of the public .com domain. On the LAN, everything works if you hit OWA by the local ip or FQDN of the private domain .local. What is not seeming to work- is from the internal LAN, you cannot access OWA by the public FQDN (.com) address. You get a page cannot be displayed.

I have struggled with this ever since the purchase of the SW 2 years ago and it was actually working at one point, but then a firmware upgrade to the Enhanced OS (to provide additional fuctionality) wiped all the settings and would not let me take the backup settings.

Now, while we are in a transitional period of a move, some folks are without PCs (outlook client) but they still need access to their mail- although they can hit the .local address, it would be easier to tell them to just use the same address as the outside url.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Rob Wales
Loading thread data ...

Create (or instruct your network folks to create) a DNS A record in your internal DNS pointing to the external IP ("public FQDN (.com)").

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Here's the issue there- if I create the zone for domain.com on my internal dns server and my public website is hosted elsewhere (isp), then my internal users can't get to the external website. I have tested this by creating the domain.com primary zone on dns server, created alias record pointing mail.domain.com to server.domain.local and then creating the host (a) for

formatting link
pointing to isp ip address does not work. I can then get to mail.domain.com, but can't get to
formatting link

Reply to
Rob Wales

Are you using a CNAME for

formatting link
If so, did you try it with an A record for "www" rather than a CNAME?

Also, although ugly, how 'bout a host file entry for

formatting link

Admittedly, the URL would have to be specified as

formatting link
and not simply domain.com.

Does your internal DNS have forwarders configured?

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Setup was: domain.local zone - normal AD zone domain.com zone - alias (cname) for mail.domain.com pointed at exchangeserver.domain.local and then a host(a) record for

formatting link
pointed to external web/dns namespace host ip address.

For some reason, I can't remember why- I never do anything with forwarders- I remember having an issue where the forwarders were causing problems.

I honestly think it has something to do with the firewall not wanted to allow traffic out and then back through 80.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.