Shield'sUp Reports Port 443 Open

My nephew just downloaded Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security Suite 2006 and set up its firewall. He went to GRC's ShieldsUp (to

formatting link
and clicked "Shield'sUp!") to test it. ShieldsUp reported everything ok except for port 443's being open. He can find no way to configure that port to block incoming & outgoing packets. What can he do?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Trish

Reply to
trish.conway
Loading thread data ...

443 has to remain open for outgoing, becuase that is where secure HTTP (HTTPS) goes, so he better not mess with that one.
Reply to
Charles Newman

Wrong, 443 should be closed INBOUND because there is no reason to have SSL open inbound to your network unless you have some for of SSL server running on it.

Get a router that provides NAT for your DSl/Cable and you won't have to worry about things being exposed on your computer itself.

You might also want to ignore Charles, he's the groups resident clueless technician that doesn't really know anything except what he was taught

30 years ago in Business school.
Reply to
Leythos

Less than that, back in the late 1990s, around 1999.

Reply to
Charles Newman

And even so, you're still wrong about most of the technical details you post. Why can't you at least research something before posting about it

- no need to answer that.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks a lot, Leythos. I'll pass along the your recommendation.

Any clue as to why PcCillin would leave this vulnerability while another firewall (like ZoneAlarm) does not?

Thanks again.

Trish

Reply to
trish.conway

Nope, I don't use PcCillin because I didn't like the reviews of it or it's ability to protect machines, based on reviews.

Having 443 Open inbound is not a serious threat as long as you are not running some malware, not running a web server, and are sure your machine is clean.

I wonder if PcCillin uses 443 inbound for some communications method.

Personally, I don't connect machines directly to the Internet, never, ever, not at all - at least a NAT box is used.

Reply to
Leythos

What specific (inexpensive) Nat box would you recommend for use on a single Win98 box connected with dial up modem to internet? Presently using Sygate only. Thank you, Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Sorry, I don't recommend anything for dialup. In the days long past I used a 3COM LAN Modem that provided NAT for dialup, but I don't know of anything currently that is like that.

For dialup we have people using ZoneAlarm without any issues.

Reply to
Leythos

Casey,

Check with your ISP and see what hardware/software your connection is already going through. You may not need anything else.

Ron :)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

Thanks for your replay, Leythos. It prompted me to look for reviews of PCCillin. The first I found was ZDNet's, which you can read here:

formatting link

It didn't sound so bad to me. Could you point me to one of the reviews which find that PCCillin doesn't provide adequate protection?

Thanks again.

Trish

Reply to
trish.conway

I don't read reviews from anyone that takes vendors money for advertisements. I've seen many products get great reviews in mags that have LARGE full page color ad's in them, only to find that the review was not honest and did not really tell the entire story - slanted to keep the ad money rolling in.

PCCillin ships on many new machines, it's cheap, it is not ranked highly in unbiased reviews, there are many places on the web and I don't have any bookmarked. I'm sure that if YOU spend a little time with Google that you will come up with some independent reviews.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.