Port 80 open by Skype

Hi

Just wondering if I have a security problem. GRC reports that port 80 is open. Looking at my Norton Internet security firewall, Skype is listening on port 80. Do I need to be concerned by this at all? Is Skype compromising my security ? Can I close incoming port 80 and still run Skype ? Any advice most welcome

David

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

Because of Skype, alway.

Get a useable online portscan. I recommend

You have a BIG security problem.

As configured. Your point being?

Yes, but I guess you won't get the point anyway.

Sure, but not because of your argument.

Yes. Why are you asking?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Because of Skype, always.

Get a real online portscan. I recommend for gaining some reliable and usable results.

You have a BIG security problem.

As configured. Your point being?

Yes, but I guess you won't get the point anyway.

Sure, but not because of your argument.

Yes. Why are you asking?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

formatting link

Better forget Norton InSecurity.

Yes:

ftp://ftp.iks-jena.de/pub/mitarb/lutz/hacking/Biondi:Skype-deciphered:Blackhat-EU-06.pdf

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Apparently, this Skype is listening on port 80 and it has it open for incoming.

To say that your machine is open to attack because port 80 is open, may not be the case. If the machine has a Web server running and listening on port 80 too, you might have some trouble I would think.

After all, something on the other end that is listening has to be attackable that can be used to exploit the machine.

You got any reports on this Skype a VOIP solution being attacked over the Internet?

At the very least, you should try to secure the O/S a little more if you have an NT based O/S.

If you're not using Skype 24/7 365 then close it down and close the port when you're not using it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Why don't you link to the original?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.