Question about microsoft network

Hello group,

I have a adsl router/modem with wifi. This provides me with excellent firewall from the internet, but no firewall at all from wireless wifi users who could access netbios file shares etc. Should I disable my Server service of my Windows computers to protect them from netbios access, if so, can I leave the Workstation service on so that computers cab still access one shared printer? Or should I remove the netbios protocols from the ip adapter?

Reply to
info
Loading thread data ...

You could use

formatting link
for example, to disable such services.

But it would be a much better idea to enable WPA or to use an encrypted VPN in your wireless network.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

"info" wrote in news:43550d94$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

You can use Authenticated User Group on File Shares and remove the Everyone Group off the share. Authenticated User group means that the computer must have an account created on the computer for any user from another computer to access the share, which also protects on the printer situation if set correctly. Of course, one must be using NTFS. I would also look into using IPsec that's on the NT based Win 2K O/S and up to protect the Netbios port if not using a personal FW solution to protect TCP port 139.

Authenticated User Group is being talked about in the link.

formatting link
MS IPsec can be used in a FW like manner in a LAN situation and can be used to protect port 139 on Win 2K, XP and Win 2K3 machines. The AnalogX IPsec SecPol rules will provide the protection if implemented and still allow networking between the LAN machines. The IPsec will block High port use for file downloads so you either learn how to set rules to open the required port, which you can learn how to by reviewing AnanlogX rules or you disable IPsec on the machine and do the download.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.