Problem with Port Redirection with DSL-500 Generation 2

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or not. If not, please let me know where I should ask this question.

I'm having trouble with setting up my computer as a web server via DSL-500 router. My computer with staic IP address (192.168.0.4) is connected to ADSL Router in wireless network (the router is connected to an Wireless A/P). And I'm using the lastest, I believe, firmware (R2.21.002.04.b13au) for the router.

In the router's web interface, I've set the port redirection as: State: enabled Protocol: TCP Start Port: 80 End Port: 80 Local IP Address: 192.168.0.4

and then rebooted the router. But people still can't view my webpages using the external IP address of the router.

I think all setups are correct, I can't see anything wrong in there. Could anyone tell me what's wrong with this please?

Thanks in advance, Chan

Reply to
parkchan
Loading thread data ...

Hi Chan

Due to the lack of information regarding your equipment and configuration of this, you must first try to identify the source of your problem. This can for example be:

1.You are using both a modem and a router, with DHCP enabled on both. (Some modems are actually modemrouters, and if this is what you have, you should set your modem to work entirely as a modem - in Bridged Ethernet mode - leaving the DHCP part of it to the Router.)

1. Configuration of your firewall to accept Internet traffic on port

80/80
  1. Configuration of your server to "serve" on all unassgned IP-addresses on port 80

You're saying that you have the static IP-address 192.168.0.4. Well this is the internal IP-address of your computer - "assigned" by your router.. It can be set as a INTERNAL static IP address behind your router, but it does not work as the EXTERNAL IP-address, for the Internet. The external IP-address is a totally different number, assigned by your ISP.

You'll need to be sure whether the EXTERNAL IP-address, is a static or dynamic IP-address. A dynamic IP-address change each time you restart the computer after a shutdown.

To find your external IP-address, you can go to seeip.com. To determine whether it is a dynamic or static IP-address, shutdown PC, restart and seeip.com again! If the number is unchanged, then you probably have a static (external) IP-addresss, provided to you by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

If you are having a dynamic IP-address, you need to sign up with one of the, often free, DNS-updater services, such as DynDns.com. Such services provide you with a program that makes sure your IP-addresss in cyber space is always updated.

Hard to say something more specific in the resolving of this problem without more information..

Best of luck!

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
HONKA

Hi Honka,

Yes, I have an ADSL Modem Router, and DHCP is disabled to enable me to use a static internal IP address in Port Redirection setting. And port redirection is set to redirect traffic on TCP port 80 to 192.168.0.4.

In my network, I have the ADSL modem router which is connected to a wireless A/P, and then the A/P communicates with a laptop computer which is 192.168.0.4. This is my entire network.

I don't use the firewall which is built into the router, but I use Windows firewall since I use Windows XP with Service Pack 2. When people try to access my computer I disable the Windwos Firewall and Norton Antivirus 2004 as well.

I know the difference between the internal and external IP addresses. I give out my external IP address to other people to try to connect to my computer from outside.

I've done everything the guide from D-Link tells me to do, but it's still not working !!!

Thank you for reply, Chan

Reply to
parkchan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.