Port forwarding to a remote host AND local processing on redhat linux

I use kernel 2.4.x. My requirement is to do port forwarding to a remote host AND to process these packets locally.

I tried using iptables for port forwarding. It works. But I can't process these packets locally as well i.e. I need to pass these packets to a local application for further processing in addition to remote host forwarding.

Any other tips other than using iptables? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
ceek63
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Port Forwarding means address rewriting and that means routing and the packet is processed in the FORWARD chain. You would have to copy the packets before the address rewritten, rewrite the address of one packet and leave the other untouched ... forget it.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Reply to
ceek63

Reply to
ceek63

I don't know a possibility to copy packets (with iptables). Therefore I said: 'Forget it'.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

this kind of thing is solved with Proxy solutions, but there's big questions as to WHY one would attempt this data flow. The connection to the client-server imply atomic processing. IF you need some kind of 'back-end' support, it would normally be an extract or secondary process from the original server. Simple dual-logging would be straight from the proxy.

So aga> I use kernel 2.4.x.

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.