NG Server problems

While I have this brief connection to netnews.insightbb.com, I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. I am having extreme difficulty connecting on port 119. I can surf the WEB and send and receive emails through mail.insightbb.com. I am getting timeouts when connecting to the NG server that happens to be ATTBI's NG server. I was on the phone with Insightbb Tech support. They had me go to the command prompt and enter telnet netnews.insightbb.com 119 and I got the response back.

But when I use Xnews or OE to connect it's a hit or miss situation with timeouts. They tell me I have a FW problem and outbound is not coming past the WG on port 119. I see the outbound in the logs as Xnews does its retry (s) on port 119 and 443 happens to be involved too may be it's 445 as this info has rolled out of the realtime Syslog. But I got nothing coming back on port 119 according to the logs. As a matter of fact when doing the Telnet thing, Xnews was doing its retries and couldn't connect or OE.

To correct this problem, I have to power down and up the modem, WG, reboot the computer and reboot the WG to get back.

The other XP and the XP machines cannot connect period on 119 with timeouts. But they can do everything else.

This happen about a year ago and then went away. However, this happened right after Insight was jacking around with the cable network in my area like they did last night.

I had beeter make this post before it's too late.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

Duane Arnold wrote in news:Xns95AB8BAB73C2Anotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17:

That's XP and Linux and I am suprised I can still send the post.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well, this is just a follow-up here. I think I have the problem resolved. All of this time with the hit and miss connection with the XP machines to netnews.insightbb.com on NNTP port 119, the Linux machine never could connect again successfully to netnews.insightbb.com. Also during this time period, a new IP was provisioned to my account. The old IP I ran with for over a year didn't have this problem. However, the IP prior to the one I ran with for a year had the same time out issues.

I did a Live Chat with Insigtbb about getting a new IP provisioned. Of course, I had to go through the whole nine yards about DHCP IP(s) and how it does a lease renew, XP SP 2 and Netsh winsock reset, and you have a FW or software issue blah blah blah.

I insisted upon a new IP. They called me on the phone and I got a new IP and now the Linux machine can connect that couldn't and the XP machines made a connection without me having to reboot the machines. Insightbb said they would run tests on the range of IP(s) for the one I had to see if there are problems. I think there are problems

Anyway, I think I am good to go with the new IP. I'll see.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.