Networking Home computers

We have two computers each with a different printer. We also have Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm installed on both computers. Each computer is connected to a Linksys router which is connected to the modem and the internet. I wish to be able to print from one computer to the other computer's printer and also share files between the two computers without having to shut down zone alarm each time. How do I set up this type of network?

Reply to
crazyjxx
Loading thread data ...

We have two computers running windows XP each with a different printer. We also have Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm installed on both computers. Each computer is connected to a Linksys router which is connected to the modem and the internet. I wish to be able to print from one computer to the other computer's printer and also share files between the two computers without having to shut down zone alarm each time. How do I set up this type of network?

Reply to
crazyjxx

Enable and configure the packet filter on the router. Remove ZoneAlarm. Problem solved.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1164752744.863270.312140 @l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Essentially, allow full access in the firewall to your lan. I have an older version of ZA on an old Win95a machine and could print to the printer connected to it from my new computer.

Reply to
John Gray

Is that the only way to alow access to the printers, is there a way to add the other computer to the zones in Zone Alarm? Also, what steps do I take to even set up access to eachother. What I have set up right now allows me limited access then it freezes up. I don't think I have it set up right.

John Gray wrote:

Reply to
crazyjxx

You can get a print server and plug it into one of the lan ports on the router. You then plug the printer into the print server, which will allow network printing. All computers connected to the router will be able to share the network printer.

Well, you have to understand what the Windows networking ports are for a NT based O/S. The ports used for MS NT based O/S networking are discussed in the link.

formatting link
's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm Most personal FW/packet filters, and ZA a like, should have a setting that auto set rules to open those ports.

I myself when I was using a PFW behind a router, set rules on the PFW to only open those ports to static or DHCP IP(s) that were issued to machines or were using a static IP. You should use a static IP on the router for print server, if you get one.

Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

crazyjxx,

On both PC's set the zone to trusted rather than internet.

Regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1164757085.408300.247700 @l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

If the computer that is trying to access the other computer's printer has a static lan IP, you can add that one IP to the Local zone. By default, most windows machines use DHCP even on the lan so it can change. It's better to add a range of local IPs. Like 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 If your lan is in that range then all computers connected to the router's lan side will have access to the shares on that computer, including the printer. The printer must be 'shared' in windows setup on the host computer.

Reply to
John Gray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.