Misleading hacker/Reinstating Temp. Wireless.

I have a linksys wireless network supporting a single computer, a "cable" telephone(Vonage) and a single wireless connection(Playstation

2).

I am currently living in an apartment complex, that seems very casual, but I have noticed some wirless 'interference,' recently, and assumed some punk kids were just messing around with their Legion sniffers or what not. Whether or not they are 'punk', or 'kids' is still to be determined, but I did find traces of foreign activity, and will claim this to be a legitimate 'hacker.'

I am not too concerned as I know what preventive measures to take.

What I do want to do, is bait him.(or her?)

Currently, this 'hacker,' likes to disable my wirless and nothing more. Not a huge issue, as he is not doing it through root access, rather some series of heavy interferrence,(32k packet dump?) but you can imagine the inconvenience.

I considered finding, or having a basic program written. This program, would take my root router password, and upon a set XX time, it would login, and re-enable the wireless.

This is sure to annoy the hacker, and keep them trying to re-disable, but being that I have root and he (hopefully)does not obtain it anytime soon, then while he is having fun trying to time out my program, I can spend some more time learning about him.

I am not much of a programmer, and at this point, I'm not looking for suggestions on how to approach this person, just to find someone who knows or could possibly point me in the direction of what it is I'm looking for.

If anyone has a really good idea, please send me a copy of your post to my listed email; Dork snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com as I may not check this too often.

TIA,

Sad

Reply to
dork_hollywood
Loading thread data ...

I am fully aware that there's someone else in there, like I said, looking for suggestions to my 'program' idea.

Ty

Reply to
Sadistic

These are all nice realistic and fully workable solutions to security, but maybe I've put this in the wrong forums.

I just want a small program that does as I mentioned above. I suppose I'll just subscribe to a nerd forum(well, more nerdy).

Reply to
Sadistic

How about you just setup your wireless with it being secure and then you don't have to worry about it. They can't play with the TCP if they can't reach it.

Change the SSID, Change the Channel, Disable SSID Broadcasting, ENABLE WEP, set key to 128Bit, etc....

Reply to
Leythos

You sure its not either: - a microwave oven very close by - a cordless telephone - and TV/remote resender - a brand-x turbo-G wap thats hogging the spectrum when in use

Reply to
Mark S

(snip)

If you have set it up properly you are probably just seeing "normal" interferance. Try changing your channel.

Reply to
Stevey

Anything you do to the user could be considered unethical and possibly illegal in some places. I would suggest that you just secure the connection like most people should and you won't have to worry about it any more. Leaving a WAP open is asking for trouble.

Reply to
Leythos

We had a problem with a WAP used to bridge two locations for the same network. It worked for more than a year and then started having more and more problems. As it turns out, a new ISP that does all Wireless over Canopy and other units moved into the area at the same time as we started having problems. I tried 4 different vendors hardware, all channels, etc... Went with hi-gain antennas.... Ended up having to run cable between offices to get a reliable connection.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.