Linksys BEFSR41 false client

I am using this router together with Sygate Personal Firewall. I have just two PCs connected and the DHCP table shows the usual 192.168.1.100 and 101 references. However, over the last couple of days, I have had Sygate warnings that NTKernel & System has been blocked from trying to access the network. When I look at the SPF traffic log, it says the attempted connection is to 192.168.1.102. Even more strange is that I find allowed UDP and TCP traffic logged between 192.168.1.100 and 102.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

Brian

Reply to
Brian
Loading thread data ...

You have not told us what IP Addresses your computers are using on the network.

In some instances, depending on how to set things up, and since the DHCP lease defaults to 24 hours, you may be seeing a lease that you computer (one or the other) got for some reason.

Check the lease table again Check each machine for it's IP Do you have a wireless access point? Do you have anyone that might be connecting to your wired network?

Reply to
Leythos

Yes he has - "the usual 192.168.1.100 and 101 references".

I agree. The OP could prove or disprove this theory by setting the "Number of DHCP Users" parameter to 2.

Reply to
Triffid

No, he said the DHCP leases for those were taken/assigned. We need to know what the leases are and the IP's of his computers at the SAME moment - they may not be the same.

Reply to
Leythos

If you reset the router, or restart it, the DHCP log is cleared, but the leases are still in the router. It's kind of misleading, and not everyone is aware of it.

Reply to
Leythos

I discovered what happened. A couple of weeks ago, I connected my laptop briefly. I guess my regular second PC was not switched on at that time and maybe got switched on while the laptop was connected. Consequently, the second PC got shifted from its usual ip address to the 102 address. and 101 is now sitting there waiting for the laptop. The polls are presumably the switch/router looking for the no longer connected laptop.

The strange thing is that the DHCP table - at the time of checking, with no laptop and the second PC switched off - showed just the usual 101 address, presumably because the router has a log for that address in its memory.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.