Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites

Ask them to pay more supervisors. And tell them they should educate their children.

No, but anyone caught intentionally looking at lots of pr0n on school property will be expelled first temporarily (2 weeks) and, if repeated, permanently. And just the menace is already enough to keep most of them off.

May it be or not, but nothing of this changes anything about being hardly able to actually enforce such policies technically.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk
Loading thread data ...

Am Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:26:34 +0000 schrieb Leythos:

He can and he does regularely, be sure.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Since I respect your opinions I will give him the benefit of doubt, but he sure seems to be missing the boat when it comes to the use of the Internet.

Reply to
Leythos

To try and stop all this bikering caused by one smart @$$, I will tell you what I did...

blocked three major keywords that the faculty will rarely, if ever, need in a search or websurfing...

I then monitored the log (for half the day) and called kids into my office the moment I saw them attempt to use a proxy site.

They had never been into my loud, roaring server room, nor ever talked to me.

I told them why we have a firewall and how, legally, they shouldnt bypass it in case something bad happened and their parents realized they "did it" on the school computers... etc....

They understood and left, telling all their friends that they got called to my office. Ironically, they were all girls, sweet girls in fact... trying to get to facebook and myspace...

problem (for the most part) solved...

Reply to
Jazz

Considering the fact that you don't understand what entertainment is, I am not surprised why what I posted went flying over your head.

Reply to
No Spam

While I agree with the idea, you didn't carry it far enough. I would guess that it will take about one school day for the word to get around and then later that day they will be finding other means to get out.

Reply to
Leythos

I agree with you... and you are right...

I tell people that are network admins that they have a totally different job than I do. Their users treat thier computers with at least an attitude of "I need this to do my job and to get paid" so they treat them with some level of respect... My users (nothing against this, but the truth is) grow up in an environment where everything is given to them; merited or not (Private school, VERY well off families... can you say new Mercedes for your 16th birthday? Very common, as are breat implants). So they tend to treat my computers as if to say "They are mine, but I didnt pay for them, HECK YEAH!" and ruin them at any given chance.

Reply to
Jazz

One of our local public schools, where my wife was teaching, had 20 computers in her room, during her first few months there the kids managed to trash ever PC, steal the mouse balls, etc...

After hearing how support calls went unanswered by the school system, or the idiots would show up without any parts (even though the work ticket said Missing mouse balls).... I went in and built a clean machine, secured it, disabled the floppy, CD, USB, ports and then passworded the BIOS... Next I made a ghost bootable CD Image of the machine that would auto restore if booted from.... Restored the image to all machines and what do you know, everything working again (replaced the ball mice with optical), and if something went wrong, all she had to do was enable the CD and reboot the machine...

Funny thing is that one of the kids stole the CD from inside her desk, and I can only hope he used it on mommy/daddy's computer :)

Having been an IT manager in many shops, worked with many different types of clients, I make sure that everyone understands that internet is only permitted for work reasons and that all traffic not in support of the business will be blocked and attempts to use the network for non- company business will be punished - we've fired more than one person after the initial warning was not respected.

Reply to
Leythos

Well done! I did almost the same for the 2 pc's in my wife's classroom as well ... then had the school's resident "pc expert" ask me how I did it and if I could do it for the rest of the school! After quoting him on the job (yes, he epxected me to do it for free) he decided he'd try and set them up himself. Last I heard, he was still trying.

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

A common situation that occurs is that the gifted students finish their work and get sent to 'play puter' unsupervised as a reward. The teacher spends the rest of the class helping the struggling students. The education is not perfect due to budgetary and practical constraints. E.

Reply to
E.

Anyone expelled would deprive the school of an income stream. E.

Reply to
E.

An old p11-450 with 128MB ram, 10gb hard disk, coupla nics, not a problem.

If you configure it right, and train the site admin (takes 1/2 an hour) on how to modify settings all is good. Trying to argue that something that does work and is working in the real world, right now, that you refuse to even try, convinces me of little.

WTF does IE have to do with anything? You don't run a content filter as an IE plugin. Browser, OS is utterly irrelevant to what the proxy can block.

Already answered.

What about you RTFM?

I could make cotton candy out of fruit sugar. About as relevant.

If you ever are down this way i can show you it working.

If that is what you wish to believe, feel free.

Actually once I configured it there are very few false positives.

Hello!!!! Real world Calling!!!! It's in! It works! It cost f*ck all to set up! It costs f*ck all to maintain!

Well, *have* you tried it? Provide details.

And you know this from your extensive experience of not even trying.

All you have proved is that you can't do simple things, and have a closed mind. E.

Reply to
E.

Jazz,

THROW OUT your hardware appliance and go with a software-based solution. Your problem is PROOF that hardware firewalls are not as good as the type of setup I use. You will need to put another PC as your network server, running either Windows

98, ME, SE, NT, XP, 2003, ot Vista. Next, you will need You will need a connection sharing type program, I recommend AllegroSurf, becuase it is a LOT more secure than the solution built into Microsoft networks. Also, becuase of the way it works, there is no POSSIBLE way to bypass any proxy solution.

Next, you will to install a software firewalls on your gatway machine, Kerio or Tiny are my preferred solution for this.

Next, I would recommend geting a program like CyBlock, which does network proxy and filtering in one. CyBlock is mostly used in business but it will run on any gateway machine running any version of Windows, 2000 or later. This is another reason you will need to have a software firewall, such as Tiny, go use with CyBlock, becuase of the security hole it has, that can only be closed with a solution, such as Tiny, that can block by application on the gateway machine. I find that I have to tell Tiny or Kerio to restrict incoming access to my network, and restrict outgoing access to ports 80 and 443. CyBlock is good, but a hardware appliance cannot close the security hole that Wavecrest has not fixed yet, or use another proxy solution to act as a front- end. If you can still find it, the old freeware version of WebWasher will do nicely, plus you can add your own list of sites you want to block, in addition to what CyBlock does. On my network I currently run

AllegroSurf - Acts as network router Tiny Personal Firewall - Network firewall CyBlock - Internet filtering WebWasher - acts as a front end to the CyBlock proxy

If you should require authorized staff to bypass the filter, you will need a progam like ProxyPro, with authentication, as an unfiltered proxy. I have two proxies on my network, the filtered proxy, and the unfiltered ProxyPro proxy, requiring authentication.

In fact, with CyBlock, MySpace is arleady in the filter list. Once you install CyBlock, just select the category "Society And Culture", and Myspace.com will be blocked.

Another problem is port 80. They are probably using proxies on port 80, which are difficult to block, without blocking all Web access.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Being clever at last. Good idea.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

X-No-Archive: Yes

I agree, and CyBlock is the way to go, because it is a proxy and filter in one, I recommend it.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Perhaps, sometimes you will understand, why a fake mail address does NOT prevent from Spam at all, but double Spam and send it to other people.

At this point of time, maybe you will realize, in what way you contributed to entertainment here. Cynical speaking.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

He will have to purchase a third-party solution, such as WinControl for that. WinControl can lock down the proxy settings for IE so they cannot be changed. Be aware, however, that this only works for Internet Explorer, if you are using any other browsers (Opera, Firefox, etc), they will have to be removed.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Dansguardian will pick up all requests to ports 80, 8080, 3128 etc and funnel then through the filter E.

Reply to
E.

^^^^^

There is your problem right there. If I have XPSP2 on my gateway box, I cannot connect to any of the proxies, becuase of the Windows firewall. If I use SP1, there is no problem. You might want to see if you can get a hold of a version with SP1, and see if that will do the trick. You will just need a third-party firewall solution to protect your network.

Reply to
Charles Newman

"Charles Newman" wrote in message news:b4adnXaus8DzJorZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Why? You can set a local group policy on a Windows 2000/XP/2003 pc very easily! As long as people logon as users not administrators they can't change the settings.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.