cisco advice

Hello,

I had a meeting last week with Cisco. They told me that if you want to do

100 Mbits routing, you shoud really have a router that is supporting 100 Mbits routing. For example I chose the Cisco 2821 that has 2 interfaces 10/100 mbits. They told me that this router is not going to support it. They adviced me to take the Cisco 3845. It is much expensive. So I don't know if it is just bullshit or true.

Thanks for your advice

Reply to
Slimo
Loading thread data ...

It isn't bullshit. The 2821 is designed to support a small number of T1 lines, not anywhere close to 100 Mb/s.

formatting link
formatting link

2821: raw performance 87.04 megabits/s -- which would give you less than 45 megabits/s each way in a full duplex environment.

"As you add ACL's, encryption, compression, etc - performance will decline signficantly from the given numbers [...]"

Note that the 87.04 megabits/s is with 64 byte packets, and that your effective performance would increase if a significant number of your packets were longer than the minimum size. It is common for packets to be either very short (icmp, TCP ACK) or long (full TCP packets); in many environments, the average sized packet is about 256 bytes. If you multiply the raw performance by 4, on paper you get enough to route 100 megabits/ full duplex, but the professional tests that have been done show that the 2821 is, under realistic traffic loads, best suited for what Cisco markets it for -- 2 T1's or so.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Greetings,

It all depends on WHAT they actually said or what YOU thought they said. A 2821 will never do 100Mb/s of traffic Routing, but it will pass data at 100Mb/s, and it will do that on multiple interfaces. HOWEVER, there is a significant difference between simply passing traffic and making routing decisions based on the contents of that traffic.

The bottom line is that if you really do have a genuine need to

100Mb/s worth of ROUTING, then you really do need the bigger box.

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

True - see the other posts for raw numbers.

there is a related point which is important - one reason these boxes are expensive is that they are software driven routers.

these days software routers are optimised to drive WANs, or where you need complex processing that cant all be done in hardware

if all you need is good IP performance with LAN interfaces, then you may be better off using a layer 3 switch where IP forwarding is done in hardware - a 24 port 10/100 Catalyst 3560 costs less than 1/2 a 3845 - but is higher thruput on Ethernet and there are 24 10/100 ports, not 2.

Reply to
stephen

Hi,

This is true. You will need a CISCO3845 if you want to do 100Mbits routing.

I have one available, NEW, for $8000 (38.46% off list) available. Let me know if you would be interested in purchasing it.

Rick Truong TruTech Systems Office: 951.696.3688 Mobile: 951.440.8711 AIM: ricktrutek E-Mail: rick at trutechsystems dot net

Reply to
rick

Rick, to confirm: the price you offered to Slimo in France, was listed in Myanmar Kyats (MMK), right?

We can deduce your country from your phone number, but the currancy symbol you used was too ambiguous for certainty.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

I am located in the States. The $ is used to indicate USD :D. I just punched into a conversion calculator and it says 51350 MMK, but i am not entirely sure if the conversion is correct.

Thanks,

Rick Tru>>>>

Reply to
rick

Why not use a L3 switch instead of a router if you are routing between switched ethernets?

-mike

Reply to
delgrundy

Then are your shipments from Rangoon, or is your head office there, or your call centre is there?? I'm trying to figure out why your phone number isn't even on the same continent as you are?

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

My phone number is 951.696.3688. 951 is an area code in Murrieta, California, USA. Sorry, i guess you mistook 951 as 95 as the country code :D. Country code for USA is 01 i believe.

formatting link
Thanks,

Rick Tru>>>I am located in the States. The $ is used to indicate USD :D.

Reply to
rick

Sigh, hints don't seem to be doing any good:

Your phone number is NOT 951-whatever, except perhaps to a small portion of California. Your phone number is 1-951-whatever within the North American Numbering Plan (NANP), and outside of the NANP is +1-951-whatever.

This is an international newsgroup, and you were offering something to someone who is not located anywhere near you. If you would prefer that your company not be perceived as only knowing how to do business in a small part of California, then I would recommend that your postings use the international version of your phone number instead of your only-works-in-a-small-area phone number.

Specifying the currency on prices helps too: the $ symbol is used by several countries, so specifying US or USD helps to reassure people that you deal internationally regularily and know about matters such as international payment instruments, good international shippers, cryptography export restrictions, and the like.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

I stated that the prices are in USD after your initial question, which I figured would tell people that I am located in the States. True, I did not specify 1.951.xxx.yyyy, but once again i assumed that someone calling international to the united states would know what they need to punch in.

I am sorry I did not take this into consideration, but normally when dealing with international customers, they have been able to deduce the full phone number when i just have 951.xxx.yyyy since they know i am located in the US.

I just copied my contact information from my emails, and that seems to have worked for all my previous international dealings. But i will take your advice into consideration and will write the international version when posting to this group.

Thanks!

Rick Tru>>>My phone number is 951.xxx.xxxx. 951 is an area code in Murrieta,

Reply to
rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.