Is this setup necessary (router/firewall +)

I am using Win XP and have a wired router for just my computer, plus the firewall is set to ON within XP. I also got PC Firewall Plus for what I believe is added protection, but is all of this necessary?

The reason I got the PC Firewall Plus was first, it was free. Secondly, it said it prohibits programs from within the computer to secretly connect to the Internet by first telling you which program is trying to do that and asking if it is OK or not?

Is all of this necessary or is there something else you might recommend, something better?

Thanks in advance for your help. Mary

Reply to
Queen Mary
Loading thread data ...

short answer: no long answer: yes, PC Firewall Plus is necessary in this setup to make the computer insecure

Garbage from the trash can is free as well. Still I don't have any intend to...

So what? This only applies to legitimate programs, where is it superfluos. Illegitimate programs simply click the OK button on your behalf, or hijack already allowed applications.

What about sitting back and thinking about a real security concept?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I am, that is why I posted to this NG.

Mark

Reply to
Queen Mary

For a security concept the first thing you need to do is identify your assets (i.e. what do you want to protect). Next you need to identify your risks (i.e. how could your assets be attacked/exploited). Once you have identified your assets and risks you can start developing methods and strategies to mitigate your risks.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.