Is there any such thing as...

IMHO... the best software *network* firewall value out there right now is Kerio Winroute Firewall. Yes, it does NAT, as well as tons of other network firewall stuff. Like stateful packet inspection, protocol inspection, VPN, built-in AV (if you pay extra), all rule based for in and out. Just plain good. I've been using it at home for four years (stared using it when it was owned by another company and was called Winroute).

JFTR, I have also administered a few enterprise firewalls including Raptor (now Symantec). I still believe the best value for the $ is KWF. Check out

formatting link
Good outfit. I also use their mail server (Kerio Mail Server - KMS).

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

software NAT? If so can anyone tell me about their experiences with it and what products work well in a windows 2000 environment. Thanks.

Reply to
<nospam

Yes, "free" sheds a whole new light on your request. Just depends on what your time and data are worth. I do understand that often it is not worth much. Really. Especially if you are just fooling around trying to learn how everything works.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Thanks for the input. Sounds great - only problem is - I'm a home user and can't (also don't want to) pay that sort of money when I could just grab a hardware router / firewall for the same price...

I suppose I should rephrase my question a little - any good freeware software NAT products out there?

Reply to
<nospam

Since you don't appear to know much, and since you used the FREE word in another reply, I suggest that you purchase a Linksys or other vendors NAT Router Appliance and you'll be more secure and have less chance of exposing yourself.

Reply to
Leythos

Ah-ha! So I've stumbled across the resident newsgroup tosser straight away! Well, using the PURCHASE word in response to a direct request from someone trying to find something FREE doesn't make you look too clever either.

At least that's true.

Reply to
<nospam

I wasn't trying to look "Clever" I was trying to save the person a lot of trouble and frustration from being easily compromised - if you were a little more clever you would have been able to see that.

Thanks for adding nothing of benefit.

Reply to
Leythos

I honestly can't recommend a software NAT solution which is free; other than Windows ICS, which is only available on Windows ME, and Windows XP. Did you try Google for assistance?

Reply to
NormanM

If you had taken as much time as you took to write that garbage to actually take a look back through this groups' archive, you would have found out that Leythos is a well respected authority on the subject of firewalls.

You would do well to pay attention to what he is saying and use a small word like sorry.

Reply to
Mike

You had better know who the players are in the NG.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

ICS is on Win 2k too.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.