is my system safe ?

In that case my comments were out of context. I was speaking for the home user for the most part.

For example: there are still many websites out there that check if you're using Netscape Navigator. The developers that my company hired to build our website did this just last year, despite my protests. The (java)script they're thinking only works on IE works equally well on other modern browsers (I've tested it successfully on Opera and Firefox, with a modded page where I took out the check). And that's basically my main gripe with webdevelopers in general. A lot of them are still stuck in 1999.

Agreed. It's more a matter of scope (or scale). If the application is built with a closed user group in mind, the underlying technology is a moot point. You make use of the web, but not everyone on the web can use the application (because they're not within the group or company and therefore not allowed to access it).

If the site is specifically made to sell products, then it's not so simple IMHO. In this case the company is throwing the door shut into potential customers' faces. You could argue that those customers should use IE, but they're not always able to (people not using Windows for example).

Who's to blame in such a case?

1) the user who can't or won't use the browser the application is designed for 2) the developer who builds an application which requires a specific browser to be used Which side is right? Or is there no "right" side?

But those are not likely to be used by the average Joe. Which was the basic premise for my previous reply (the home user). When the application is built for a closed user group (or a specific market) then I'd say it's OK to push some requirements. But when the application is built for the world, then you should take into account that the world is full of different browser & OS configurations. It all depends on the target audience, really.

I still say you're only shifting the problem from one place to another. A service that everyone should be able to use, should itself be able to adapt to whatever a person is using. That's true progress IMHO.

Reply to
prophet
Loading thread data ...

The bottom line here is you're talking about stuff I already know. .NET which is not platform, browser, or language specific will start to change all of that, IMHO.

There are several types of solutions out there. Internet with its requirements, Internet/Intranet with its requirements, Intranet and its requirements, non Web based and its requirements, .NET solutions and non .NET solutions.

I build solutions based on the requirements and that's it. That's all that counts. I am not into the what it should or should not be. I am out here to make $$$$$$ and give the client what they ask for and .NET is versatile enough to allow me to produce the solutions needed.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"BTW" is a usual term to explicitly mark content that doesn't necessarily belong to the subject. If that content is explained or not, your complaint on this not belonging to the subject is invalid in any case.

Yes, this is what a lack of explanation is like.

Your reply address only needs to be valid - however, there's absolutely no demand to read it at all and therefore spam is not a problem. It isn't anyway, as spam filters exist and allow to keep on doing direct eMail communication without any strange hassles.

Fools like you are destroying the medium eMail because they're unwilling to understand that open communication and lack of unsolicited communication are mutually exclusive.

As you might have already noticed, English is not my native language. It's not that I would intentionally violate grammar rules.

But you're violating a technical and a social rule for absolutely no good reason.

BTW: fup2p

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

No one cares for your WEB solution, you can do as your want on your network and partitially on your server - but stop claiming that it would be the ultimate through for the entire web and all its servers + content.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

You're a *clown* and you should disappear. But I know you're just too dumb to do it. I know I very seldom read any of your posts, because you post to damn much. You're choking out the NG.

If a fly posted up in here about its problems, you'll post 129,000 times on that too.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

formatting link
POrobably off topic but as "you" mention Noscript (indirectly) I'll post it anyway. I did install NoScript and it does help, but at
formatting link
so much crap comes from Yahoo itself. I see Yahoo Pulse, Yahoo Shopping, Yahoo foto's, Marketplace and other stuff I just don't want to see and get rid off. How can I block it (I don't want to block all scripts from yahoo.com)?

Reply to
JackRnl

AdBlock Plus? Damn, you've got RegExps and even filtering DIVs by name/id.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

formatting link
>

I use addblock plus and flashblock.

Works like charm.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Boosten

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.