Host file

Hello all, I am blocking sites with the Host file but the most frustrating thing is happening. The one site I want to block most is

formatting link

No matter how I put it into the host file it still loads. This is the first site I could not block this way. Anyone know why this may be?

Thanks,

Ty

Reply to
Ty
Loading thread data ...

Usual reason is that what-ever is calling up the site is calling it by IP address, not hostname. That means it doesn't CARE what's in your hosts file or in DNS. Sounds like another windoze 'mal-ware du jour' problem. If you are running windoze - go look for yet another virus/trojan/spyware removal tool unless you are absolutely positive that the the home page you are expecting to load doesn't have it hard coded. If that's the case, find another home page..

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

I added "

formatting link
" to my host file and it works fine. I get

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at

formatting link

• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
  • If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
Reply to
Mr. frostee

Try to block this ip's : 63.208.226.24 63.208.226.25 63.208.226.28 Mybe it will work but if not put this in instade: Myspace.com LVLT-CWIE-63-208-226 (NET-63-208-226-0-2) 63.208.226.0 - 63.208.226.255

/Anders

Reply to
Anders

good for you! protect the kids:-)

Reply to
Jeff B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.