FIX: Wireless access point on IPcop Blue network

Thought I would share my struggle with IPcop Blue + WAP config...

Scenario:

I just installed a Blue network on my IPcop (1.4.11) and want to use a wireless access point (NOT a wireless router. *In general*, think of a WAP as having only one ethernet port on the back, and router would have more than one due to also having a router/switch integrated)

Problem:

After connecting everything, enabling DHCP on the blue interface, and assigning IP's to blue and the WAP device, there is no internet access. I can ping the blue interface as well as the WAP, but no external IP's.

Solution:

If only using a WAP on blue, you MUST create a an entry in the Blue Access menu for *every* POSSIBLE DHCP address that *may* be assigned. This seems completely counterintuitive with DHCP involved, but that is just the it must be configured. Here's what I did as an example:

- 1. I reduced the number of DHCP address in the scope to save me time entering these rules.

- 2. Under Firewall | Blue Access menu, I added EACH POSSIBLE DHCP address. MAC or IP can be used. Make sure you check the enable box.

For wireless routers, create a subnet behind the wireless router. Disable DHCP on the blue interface, enable DHCP on the wireless router, and finally add the IP of the wireless router to the blue access device

Reply to
WaxyBreath
Loading thread data ...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Post a reply if this did or did not help. It's good to know that was time well spent. If you don't have a Google groups account, then you know what to do...

Reply to
WaxyBreath

this didn't help me.. but the problem is the same..

Reply to
neto.armando

Got it working for me... many thanks!

Reply to
macwireworld

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.