Firewall yes, but where?

Well, yes and no. A PFW has a huge footprint and makes a lot of changes in your system. The XP SP2 FW in contrast is cut down much more efficient and if used properly can be configured only as administrator. A HW FW is a dedicated firewall. There are not tons of other services and processes running on that thing that are not related with the FW functionality.

So, a) a PFW is subject to vulnerablities which have been actively exploited in the past by several worms. b) a PFW slows down your system immensely. c) a PFW often makes problems with various other applications running on your system due to its major modification of the system to plug itself in wherever necessary. d) a DoS attack against a PFW usually brings your system to a halt because the PFW load runs on your computer e) even worse, some DoS attacks manage to crash your PFW after which you are all of a sudden without a FW and you may not even notice because neither your PFW nor the Windows Security Center tells you immediately.

Not mentioning the "usefulness" of the extra features of a PFW.

In general, running your security software on the same computer in the same address space with your normal applications and your browser and whatever you do is a bad idea. Anything can somehow intervene on your computer and can influence each other (the PFW may influence your applications and your applications may influence the PFW). A HW FW is a HW FW and it should not be necessary to touch and reconfigure it everyday, ie. it just sits there once configured and runs and runs and runs whatever you may do on your computer.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt
Loading thread data ...

I know perfectly what a Firewall does and how different firewalls work. I even have written a Firewall. I'm the author of bastion-firewall for Linux. And I am also Telecom Engineer, so I know how the OSI and TCP/IP stacks are designed. Anyway I checked your link and I find it very interesting. I have bookmarked it to send it to some people that will be interested in this things.

Of course:

formatting link
's the 62 issue of the Phrack Magazine.

I use a PFW also with my XP at home, so I basically agree with your words. And I know a PFW can be used to protect a home LAN, but then it's best feature, that it's controlling access of applications to/from Internet doesn't apply to the LAN computers. I would find it more useful to have one PFW on each computer if you really want to use PFW.

Yes, I was talking about something like the Pix 501, a low cost router and firewall. Anyway I find useful the PFW to stop things like spyware or worms that use standard ports like 80/tcp and can't be easily stopped with what I call "real" firewall. That's why I say they are different things and serve for differents purposes.

Regards.

Reply to
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Interesting link, it's been a long long time since I have seen Pop and Push statements and programming is my expertise.;-) I have book marked the link. I wish I had more time to look at Linux and programming in general. But over the last few months and in particular right now, I am on a .Net quest to go get/cash in on that Net $$$$.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
[snip]

Thanks again! Will do.

Jim Higgins

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Turn the WLAN off, if you don't need it. If it is not possible to turn it off, configure it with a random WPA key and close it. If you don't do that you run your WLAN in default settings. I don't know the settings for your router but if I take a Linksys and just turn it on, it runs with SSID "linksys" without any encryption or authentication, in other words: anyone who gets into signal range can connect to the network. Anyone can then use your DSL connection. Anyone can also try to your computer that you connected by cable. Your neighbors will certainly welcome it as they don't have to subscribe to a DSL service but I don't thing this is what you intend.

Yes, I am German. I speak real German, not "German". ;-) Send me an email if you want...

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Vogt

Thanks for all your help and advice - It all works beautifully. Apart from a bit of setup required to get the printer going all I had to do was plug the stuff together. After that I changed the router password and double checked that things like remote setup were turned off - which they were by default - and that's it. I wouldn't say a moron could do it, but darn close to it.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.