D-Link DI-804U Router

Hi,

I've recently inherited an older D-Link router. I'd like to update the firmware as much as possible (currently sitting at 4.67, and I know for certain there's a 4.68 at least). Also, and possibly even more importantly, I'd like something like a useful user manual or some other resource to help figure out its advanced settings. I'm not certain that the firewall is active, if it even has one; and activating the WAN-side filtering, set to "Block" without anything set to pass, well, nothing gets through. I assumed it would behave like a normal firewall, allowing return data packets through ports opened by my system(s), but that wasn't the case.

That's some rambling. I'm hoping someone can help.

Daniel

Reply to
muraii
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1109661841.814832.157940 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I looked at the *DI-804 manual at the D-link Support Site*

formatting link
The D-Link router is not a FW appliance. It's just a NAT (no firewall) router with some FW like features and meets the specs in the link for a NAT (no firewall) router. D-link, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin

formatting link

If the router had a true FW or it is a FW appliance, then it would meet the specs.

Sonicwall, Cisco, WatchGuard low-end routers

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane, the DI-804HV unit, almost the same, is as close as those types of units come to being a firewall. While I agree about most of them, the 804 unit is very close (at least the DI-804HV is as good as a Zywall).

Reply to
Leythos

Hi, Duane,

I had searched on D-Link's site, and saw those models; but I didn't know how far the 804u would vary in specs from the 804 or 804HV. Thanks for the pointer.

provide some security. Should I look into a software firewall to bolster the security?

Thanks.

Daniel

Reply to
muraii

If you don't forward ports inbound to your internal network, and you practice safe browsing and email habits, then your only other main need is a GOOD Antivirus application. I've seen people run for years with just a NAT box and quality AV products and never be compromised - but they lock their systems down and also monitor in/outbound traffic.

Reply to
Leythos

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1109819183.694252.197900 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I myself would supplement a NAT router with a host based FW solution or IPsec on the Win 2k, XP or Win 2k3 O/S that can stop outbound if the router cannot do it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.