connecting to VPN hotel(client side) to home(server side)

i recently move to indonesia and staying in a hotel .. got free internet connection in the room im staying ..... hotspot type need to login on a redirect webpage before u can access other stuff ... having unique dyanmic lan ip 10.0.x.x ... i noticed when i use it .. it is somewhat filtered because i cant establish IRC connection using MIRC ... says connection refused i tried several servers even different network same result ... i tried online games it seems its block too .. wondering if i can run a vpn on my pc at home (server side).. so i can tunnel myself to establsh connection such as irc n onlie games ... i tried the WInxp vpn server i think pptp type .. i wasnt able to connect it says unreachable .. server side setup .Winxp VPN server directly connected to the broadband modem ..... my mom got vpn access .. she can connect using her laptop ..using cisco vpn client ... i saw it is using IPsec/UDP and IPsec/TCP 10000 .... though i cant use it because it corporate and im pretty sure its filtered also ..... i would like to know what 3rd party software server and client side i can use.... as much as possible the freeware or and it isnt its ok to right it down ... is it really possible to tunnel my way so i can establish IRC connection and can play onlie games??

Reply to
powertrip
Loading thread data ...

i recently move to indonesia and staying in a hotel .. got free internet connection in the room im staying ..... hotspot type need to login on a redirect webpage before u can access other stuff ... having unique dyanmic lan ip 10.0.x.x ... i noticed when i use it .. it is somewhat filtered because i cant establish IRC connection using MIRC ... says connection refused i tried several servers even different network same result ... i tried online games it seems its block too .. wondering if i can run a vpn on my pc at home (server side).. so i can tunnel myself to establsh connection such as irc n onlie games ... i tried the WInxp vpn server i think pptp type .. i wasnt able to connect it says unreachable .. server side setup .Winxp VPN server directly connected to the broadband modem ..... my mom got vpn access .. she can connect using her laptop ..using cisco vpn client ... i saw it is using IPsec/UDP and IPsec/TCP 10000 .... though i cant use it because it corporate and im pretty sure its filtered also ..... i would like to know what 3rd party software server and client side i can use.... as much as possible the freeware or and it isnt its ok to right it down ... is it really possible to tunnel my way so i can establish IRC connection and can play onlie games??

Reply to
powertrip

snipped-for-privacy@mydestiny.net wrote:

You will need to find an open Socks 5 proxy server, and then use SocksCap. If you can get to

formatting link
can find open Socks 5 proxies running on various ports. You will also need to download SocksCap, from
formatting link
With SocksCap, you can stuff anything down any Socks server. If you can find server on that list you can reach, you can run your VPN client through SocksCap, and hit your home machine. The admins of the WLAN you are using will know that you went to a Socks server on a strange port, but the will have NO CLUE as to what you are up to. And if you use VPN, your traffic will be encrypted, so they wont know what you are up to. An open Socks server will let you circumvent just about anything. As I said in another post, I have been chatting with a Russian figure skater, who works in an office in Novosibirsk, when not practicing or competing on the figure skating circuit, and her employer in Novosbirsk has NO CLUE as to what she is up to. Her employer knows she is connecting to open Socks proxy servers, mostly on CT-Inets in China, Comcast, Qwest, and Optonline in the USA, Rogers in Canada, and Optus in Australia, but they have no CLUE what she is up to. When we are doing our figure skating coverage, she comes on from work to catch the action, and her employer never knows what she is up to. They know she is connecting to addresses on the afforementioned cable and DSL providers, but they know not what she is up to.

Reply to
chilly8

The hotel's access point is using NAT and Port translation, or a simple proxy server - they've set it up to allow use of _some_ ports and services, but far from all. They are supplying a limited service. If you want more than that, ask the hotel, but be prepared pay for it.

The admins won't know, because they aren't looking. You won't go to a Socks server on a strange port because they're not forwarding that, and may in fact be using a simple proxy server.

Hi, nym shifter - still selling fairy tales? If her employer doesn't know what she is up to, he has no clue what-so-ever. Be careful about those 18 wheelers driving through your living room, by the way. If your mother is constantly on the telephone instead of waiting for your beck and call, would you fail to notice? Didn't think so.

Hmmm, wonder why there's so much truck noise in the living room?

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.