Cisco ASA 5510 vs. Juniter SSG 140

I'm looking to replace my company's firewall with something more up-to-date. We're currently using something built by a consultant from various pieces he kludged together (Linux, ip tables, etc.) and we're looking for something more robust, maintainable, and with vendor support.

I'm considering either a Cisco ASA 5510 or a Juniper SSG 140. We have people in house familiar with both the PIX/ASA and Netscreen, so that's not a factor in the decision.

Our network environment is a fractional T3 feeding two DMZ zones (one for public servers and one for a wireless LAN), and about 35 users on a

100 Mbps LAN behind a Nortel managed switch.

We don't currently have VPN capabilities, but would like to add this to support access to our network by employees working from home or on the road.

Which of these two choices will provide better firewall performance, VPN support, and overall value over the next 3-4 years?

Anyone have any opinions regarding Cisco vs. Juniper firewalls in general? Horror stories, etc?

Reply to
VistaCruiser1977
Loading thread data ...

You may find this "summary" of Cisco ASA Features helpful:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Refurbished Cisco PIX Firewall Guide

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Furthermore, you may wish to investigate this Juniper Firewall vs. Cisco Firewall test:

formatting link
as well as

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Cisco vs. Competitor Lab Tests

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

The Juniper SSG 140 has 4 PIM slots which allow you to add T1/E1, ISDN, or synchronous serial interfaces. The ASA 5510 doesn't have this capability (nor do any of the other models in the ASA series as far as I know).

Reply to
sodaant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.