Break the firewall

My ISP is putting firewall I can not connect any PC to Phone dialer and I can not open many sites on web. How to break?

Reply to
mess
Loading thread data ...

My ISP is putting firewall I can not connect any PC to Phone dialer and I can not open many sites on web. How to break?

Reply to
mess

Get a new ISP

Reply to
Kenneth

"Putting firewall" WHERE? They actually came to your house, pointed a gun at your head, knocked you out, or broke in while you were away to install software on your computer?

Any PC to Phone Dialer? You mean ONE computer using its modem? Or are you somehow sharing the modem, like through ICS?

"Can not open many sites". Well, that means you DO have Internet connectivity since you can get to ANY web sites. If you got out to them, you can get out.

Sounds more like somewhere upstream is censorware to restrict to where you can browser. Talk to your parents or employer since you are using THEIR resources over which THEY get to dictate how they are used. If you want unrestricted access, get your own ISP and setup your own network and pay for the privilege rather than complain about restrictions for what you are now getting for free. If qtel.com.qa is the one censoring where you can navigate, you'll have to find a different ISP. Even if you think of using public proxies using SSL to hide to where you are browsing from your ISP, their censorware probably already has those proxy domains listed as a "Proxy Avoidance" domain and restrict you getting to them. If Qatar or other government is forcing your local ISPs to censor your navigation and if there is no way to reach a non-censored ISP, you're screwed by your government. Maybe you can reach a satellite-based non-censored ISP. Could be you just need to find a different local or regional ISP that doesn't censor in your area.

Is oppression really that bad in Qatar? I suppose Shaykh Hamad bin Khalifa ath-Thani (still the monarch over there?) wouldn't take graciously or constructively any protests you make against his government's censorship, especially since "much of Hamad's attention in his politics has been military and security oriented"

formatting link
However, from the same site, "Qatar is politically stable, has no democracy, but there is relatively good freedom of speech." I guess relative is still too restrictive for you, or maybe it's your employer, or perhaps your parents, um?

So just exactly what ARE those iffy web sites that you want to visit that your ISP, employer, or parents command that thou shall not pass? Censorship sucks but I know some parents that are aware that total freedom to navigate anywhere by their kids also sucks, employers want their employees doing work rather than downloading p*rn or wasting bandwidth with Internet music, and some governments maintain control by throttling communications.

Reply to
Vanguard (NPI)
  • mess :

Ahh gee that has to suck, not being able to exploit any more machines mess?

Jason

Reply to
Jason

In article , mess wrote: :My ISP is putting firewall I can not connect any PC to Phone dialer and :I can not open many sites on web. How to break?

I don't know what you mean about the phone dialer -- it is far from easy to have a firewall enforce anything about what you do with a different network interface that isn't talking to the ISP.

(Not necessarily -impossible-: Cisco and other manufacturers are working on mechanisms that "audit" your PC before allowing a connection; for example, the security policy being enforced might include that you aren't relaying traffic for other systems since those other systems might not be secure.)

If you cannot open many sites on the web, then the ISP might be filtering what you can reach -- this would be rather unusual unless you live in a country such as China, or your ISP is required by law to block access to (e.g.) Nazi sites -- or unless your "ISP" is not a commercial ISP but is instead really your workplace.

More plausible is that the connection changed in such a way that a portion of each packet is not consumed by overhead, and that you have to lower your MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) by some amount in order that the total after-overhead packet size is within range. If your ISP has PPPoE then you might need to reduce from 1500 to 1492. If there is now a VPN connection between you and the ISP, your MTU might have to go down further yet, into the 1350 range plausibly.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You are in a mess arnt you

Reply to
Keith

Phone dialer suggests to me that the OP means that the ISP is blocking VOIP. But I could be wrong.

Jason E

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Years ago (about 7) I inadvertently opened up my proxy server to 'anyone' for just a few hours. Almost immediately there were literally hundreds of people browsing the web via my connection, 99% with IPs indicating users based in the Persian Gulf region, esp Saudi Arabia.

The sites they were visiting were 90% p*rn and 10% political. So yes, it apparently really IS that bad!

BTW you can imagine what the traffic did to my always-on

56K dialup connection :)

DK melbourne.au

"Putting firewall" WHERE? They actually came to your house, pointed a gun at your head, knocked you out, or broke in while you were away to install software on your computer?

Any PC to Phone Dialer? You mean ONE computer using its modem? Or are you somehow sharing the modem, like through ICS?

"Can not open many sites". Well, that means you DO have Internet connectivity since you can get to ANY web sites. If you got out to them, you can get out.

Sounds more like somewhere upstream is censorware to restrict to where you can browser. Talk to your parents or employer since you are using THEIR resources over which THEY get to dictate how they are used. If you want unrestricted access, get your own ISP and setup your own network and pay for the privilege rather than complain about restrictions for what you are now getting for free. If qtel.com.qa is the one censoring where you can navigate, you'll have to find a different ISP. Even if you think of using public proxies using SSL to hide to where you are browsing from your ISP, their censorware probably already has those proxy domains listed as a "Proxy Avoidance" domain and restrict you getting to them. If Qatar or other government is forcing your local ISPs to censor your navigation and if there is no way to reach a non-censored ISP, you're screwed by your government. Maybe you can reach a satellite-based non-censored ISP. Could be you just need to find a different local or regional ISP that doesn't censor in your area.

Is oppression really that bad in Qatar? I suppose Shaykh Hamad bin Khalifa ath-Thani (still the monarch over there?) wouldn't take graciously or constructively any protests you make against his government's censorship, especially since "much of Hamad's attention in his politics has been military and security oriented"

formatting link
However, from the same site, "Qatar is politically stable, has no democracy, but there is relatively good freedom of speech." I guess relative is still too restrictive for you, or maybe it's your employer, or perhaps your parents, um?

So just exactly what ARE those iffy web sites that you want to visit that your ISP, employer, or parents command that thou shall not pass? Censorship sucks but I know some parents that are aware that total freedom to navigate anywhere by their kids also sucks, employers want their employees doing work rather than downloading p*rn or wasting bandwidth with Internet music, and some governments maintain control by throttling communications.

Reply to
David Kinston

Mess,

Convince them to run their firewall on Windows. :)

Scott R. Haven Sr. Systems Engineer Paisley Systems Inc. managed services, consulting, and support

formatting link

Reply to
Scott R. Haven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.