Attempt to scan ports

My firewall notified me that it blocked an attempt to scan TCP ports. It listed the port numbers such as 1382, 1391, 1399 etc. The attempted scan came from us.i1.yimg.com. What if anything can I do to the scan attempt?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

What kind of FW? If the FW/packet filter is blocking the scans, then why are you worried about it?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

So, you lost some disk space. BFD.

Now, you can use, in no order of importance,

formatting link
?port=1399
formatting link
To see what they are.

Unplug your system from the internet. Anything you try to do to the offending ip address could get YOU into trouble.

Other option is to email reason/log to the machine owner and/or the Internet Service Provider.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Obviously you have some network settings screwed so that the answers for the requests (your browser wants to display a website containing images fro us.i1.yimg.com) are not getting through.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Or the scan is from a spoofed source.

However, responding to every port scan is a complete waste of time. Just ignore it, they're nothing you can do anything about, and consider yourself lucky that it's not more than a little tickle and that you're loggin them...

Reply to
Joshua Reed

Well, one thing you can do is ignore it. If you don't have services listening on those ports there's nothing to get worked up about.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

That's good advice -- I recently had a client port scanned as part of a VA, they were upset that I didn't alert them when it happened. I showed them however that the entire scan added perhaps 5% to their normal incoming scan volume -- a click in the noise, so to speak. That's just the reality of Internet access. Dump them and move on.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

If I remember correctly 'us.i1.yimg.com' is associated with displaying content for Yahoo!

Reply to
Don Kelloway

What a surprise that "yimg" means "Yahoo Images", commonly used for both Yahoo website contents and ads.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

To you it probably wasn't. However the OP probably wasn't aware.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.