What is an Intel PXE ROM

Where do I find out more information about the "Intel PXE ROM"?

Every now and then I get a boot error referring to an "Intel PXE ROM". The error always goes away upon the next boot so the boot problem isn't what I'm asking here. I just want to know what this "Intel PXE ROM" is.

I googled for "What is Intel PXE ROM" and found many people had problems with this 'thing' but I did not find an explanation of what it actually is.

Do you know what an Intel PXE ROM is? What does it do?

If it matters, here is the boot error I get every once in a while on my Thinkpad laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (the message isn't the question though).

Do you know where I find out more about what a "PXE ROM" is? Ilena

Reply to
Llena Rose
Loading thread data ...

Llena Rose posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

It is the boot rombuilt into the nic card. It is trying to boot into a PXE server. PXE = preboot execution enviroment. Was used for workstations that ran off servers that didn't have disks with hard drives. Google it. Also the reply did not want to go to this group whats with that?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.