Intel or Atheros?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Fujitsu P7000 sub-notebook computer. There are two options for the built-in wireless card:

1) Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (Tri-mode 802.11a/b/g)

or

2) Atheros Super AG® (802.11a/b/g)

Which card is better?

Or---no difference?

Would the difference depend on what kind of equipment (routers) the card is connecting to? Would the benefits of the Atheros card only come into play when connected to an Atheros router? With a laptop, to be used at different places, one would never know what equipment one might connect to. Would the Intel card be more compatible?

Besides differences in performance (if any), there are of course other factors to consider, such as reliability, durability, etc. Could anyone compare those factors on those two cards?

In choosing between those two versions of the Fujitsu sub-notebook, I believe they used to charge more for the D version (with Atheros card), but now the price is the same, Intel or Atheros. (I think the type of Intel card has recently been upgraded.) So, with the prices the same, cost isn't an issue between the two cards, but I don't know what other factors to consider in the choice.

Any information helpful to choosing between those two cards would be appreciated.

Reply to
MS
Loading thread data ...

They'll both be equally compatible, but personally, I prefer the utilities and the linux compatibility of the Atheros chipset.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

Reply to
Matt Gibson

Any difference in power consumption? Can both be turned off when not in use, to save power?

Reply to
MS

Not sure about power consumption. I've yet to see a wireless card built into a laptop that could not be turned off.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

Reply to
Matt Gibson

Reply to
Andrew C

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.