Sharing Hotel Room Internet

What the alternatives to share one hotel room internet jack between 2 computers?

Reply to
lcheni
Loading thread data ...

Do I need a cross-over cable between the hotel room internet jack and my own router? Or the regular cable be fine? Thanks.

Reply to
lcheni

Bring along a cheap firewall/router.

Reply to
James Knott

You'll just have to set it up to do DHCP (not do the ISP login thing)

ISTR that people make ultra-compact WiFi routers for just this purpose so you don't need a cables draped all over the place to share a network.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Should be a regular straight thru' cable, but unless the router has a built in hub you will need a cross between the PC and the router. i.e. If the Lan side of the router has > 1 port you will be OK all round. Maybe.

In general "routers have the same kind of port as a PC" and "hubs and switches have the other kind". To connect two ports of the same kind you need a crossed cable.

Many "home" (and office) kit now comes with 'Auto MDIX' I think cisco call it. e.g Cico 837 - I think.

Some switches have a MDI/MDIX button near one of the ports.

Reply to
anybody43

I kinda like

formatting link
as it's small and has lotsa features.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.