share a fiber internet

I have about 10 buildings, each has about 20 PC need to connect to Internet.

I plan to buy a fiber (1000M/100M) from the ISP. Because of the budget, I need to have the lowest cost to connect all the PC to internet. Can anybody give me any information for me?

Thank you.

Eric He

Reply to
MedV Imaging Inc
Loading thread data ...

Read the terms of service for the package you're buying and consider if you are going to connect anything they consider a server to the outside world. the number of PCs and bandwidth are not the issue. Redistributing bandwidth to other businesses, for example, may not be allowed.

Verizon will deliver a 50MB/sec fiber to my home but they won't allow me to run a "server" which in practice means something on port 80 but if I put it on port 81 and they catch me they are within their rights to cut me off.

That would suck if I was running a business on the server.

Reply to
Al Dykes

How far apart are the buildings from each other? Do you have "right of way" permission to run cables between them? Do they have a clear line-of-sight to each other? Do you want/need to put up security barriers, so that the PCs in one building cannot directly access the PCs in another? Do you need to be able to create subgroups, so that (say) 3 specific PCs in building #6 can access 5 of the PCs in building #9, with the others in #6 not having direct communications to the others in #9?

Are you running your own servers -- file servers, name servers?

Do some of the PCs need to have priority over the others? Do some applications need to have priority over the others? For example if someone is watching a music video, would you want the overall network to slow down the other connections so that the video comes out cleanly, or do you want the overall network to degrade the video if necessary in order to ensure that the financial systems get all the bandwidth they need?

How do you intend to protect the PCs from attempted invasions and infections from the 'net? How do you intend to protect the PCs from attempted invasions and infections from each other (e.g., if one gets a virus, how do you protect all the others from getting it as well)?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Al Dykes wrote: (someone wrote)

The OP posted from Australia, which may have very different subscriber agreements than other countries. As for the original question...

If the PCs don't all belong to the same company, and probably even if they do, you should have separate subnets for each building, which requires a router. There are home/small office routers with 100baseTX WAN port, but I don't know of any with 1000baseX WAN port yet.

If you do want a 1000baseX uplink, you might consider a unix/linux machine running as a router. For more details you might try comp.dcom.lans.tcp-ip, as once you need a router you are out of the usual topic for this group.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

If it is fibre, a media convertor might suffice instead of a WAN port.

On the other hand, if security or QoS or shaping turns out to be needed then it might turn out that the easiest approach is to use something like a layer 3 switch, and depending on the feature set and model, an appropriate GBIC or SFP slot might already be there.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

It is usually nice to have some router between the LAN and WAN. It might also be desired that each building should be a separate (sub)net.

The OP wanted to keep costs down, which tends toward cheaper routers such as the home/SOHO routers that are popular now. The Linksys WRT54G at least has a 100baseTX port for the WAN, and I believe can transfer reasonably fast through that port.

One for each building and another, or something faster, between them and the WAN link should be about right.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Yes, a router is usually nice, but sometimes it is less expensive to use a modern commodity router together with a media convertor, then it is to go for a "real" router with a real WAN port.

According to what I've read, the WRT54G has been deliberately redone in VxWorks to not be nearly as "hackable" (needing the WRT54G-L if you still want the Linux). The WRT54G might or might not provide security and shaping features the OP needs. The interrelationship between the buildings was not specified at all by the OP -- and "keeping costs down" for a complicated situation still requires non-trivial spending.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

(snip, I wrote)

I agree. The OP needs to determine the appropriate requirements and budget and choose the appropriate hardware.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.