Help with campus network design 1 main site, 7 remote over fiber GigE

My boss just told me there is an extra $130K in the budget and that he wants to purchse new equipment to connect our 8 buildings. We have fiber between the buildings currently running 100mbps, he is upgrading the service to gigabit between the buildings and replacing all the vendor owned switches with our own. Our goal is to provide gigabit between buildings and to the desktop. We have 1,300 users, and we plan to do everything from VOIP, to video on demand and deployment of applications over the network with SMS.

I'm the net admin and I've installed cisco routers, switches, and firewalls, but I've never delt with anything on this scale. Our main building has 1 MDF and 16 IDF's. Each of the other seven buildings have

1 MDF and roughly 5-6 IDF's.

I would appreciate some recommendations on how to approach this project. Which switches would best meet my needs? 6509 at the core and

3750's at the remote sites? Do I contact Cisco and get design help from them?

Thanks NH

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.