Ethernet Line fault detection

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am faced with a requirement to be able to hardware detect line faults (ground faults and shorts) on an ethernet link. Since this line is behind a balanced isolation transformer (and I new to the ethernet game) I am uncertain if this can even be done. Does anyone have any experience with this situation? It has to be done real time (could be coordinated to ensure no data traffic if necessary).

Thanks for any inputs in advance..

Frodo

Reply to
Frodo
Loading thread data ...

Bonsoir Frodo,

If an Ethernet port doesn't receive the link test pulses (those existing between data frames) during 50 up to 150 ms, due to any failure in the link segment, it results at least 2 events:

- the transmission is deactivated,

- the associated green LED (often called Link), if it exists, becomes off.

For me, there is no relationship with the balanced isolation transformer. Michelot

Reply to
Michelot

(snip)

Shorting of one wire of a pair to ground likely wouldn't stop link pulses, and maybe not ethernet. It might greatly increase RFI emission, though.

I did once have a short in a coaxial ethernet system, which is silent, unlike an open which is detected quickly.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.