Impossible to find networking equipment

Since the boom in home broadband equipment, it's impossible to find proper networking devices on eBay. At the moment, I'm looking for a device which converges the following:

1) A router that will route from one Ethernet port to another, NOT from one Ethernet port to a phone line, NOT from one Ethernet port to a coax cable. 2) A switch, maybe four ports or so. 3) A wireless access point.

If I type "wireless router" into eBay though, I get five bizzillion items that can only route from Ethernet port to phone line, or Ethernet port to coax cable. I can't for the life of me find a router that can route from Ethernet port to Ethernet port.

My problem is as follows:

I have a direct connection to the internet, i.e. my computer has a public IP address. Instead of taking the Ethernet cable from the wall and connecting it into my computer, I want to connect it into a router. On the LAN side of the router, all the nodes will have private IP addresses, and the router will perform NAT so that all the nodes can surf the web simultaneously. Also, I want the device to have a built-in switch and a built-in access point.

If someone could please suggest the make and model for some cheap devices, I'd be appreciative. My ISP is offering one for $100 but I'm guessing I can get one cheaper off eBay... but first I need to know a make and model.

Reply to
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe
Loading thread data ...

Most hobbyist class routers on the market have an integrated switch built into them.

If you buy a wireless router, you will have the wireless functionality you need.

You claims of not being able to find a router with an Ethernet WAN port are absurd.

I doubt there is a single computer store in the country that doesn't sell one.

If you have a manufacturer in mind, visit their web site, determine the model number of a suitable product, and continue your search on eBay.

Best Regards, News Reader

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe wrote:

Reply to
News Reader

sounds like a dorm at a school supplying an Ethernet jack in your room ? I think most readers of this thread are missing that point... But - like mentioned - almost all home routers have a WAN port for the Ethernet connection to the "outside world" - which would be your dorm jack.

Reply to
P.Schuman

These educational lectures are starting to get boring....

We've gone from trying to splice ethernet cables together via a "splitter" to wanting a hub, to now wanting to install a router....

pc ----> router/access point -- Ethernet ----> DSL modem or Cable modem ---> ISP OR pc ----> router/access point ----> Ethernet wall jack ----> local LAN ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

Then get a hobby and don't waste your time responding.

Yes I'm aware of this. What I'm looking for is a very simple, cheap router that has an Ethernet port for both LAN and WAN, but I'm finding it very difficult to find one because when I type "router" into eBay,

99% of the hits are home broadband devices that can't route out thru an Ethernet port.
Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

Schuman has responded to several of your posts, in an attempt to assist you.

Your response is uncalled for, and may incline others to offer less assistance in the future.

What about the other 1%?

Is eBay the only source you can think of?

Surely you can overcome this problem. Millions of others have.

Reply to
News Reader

Indeed he did, but then he chose to be rude. If he finds lecturing so boring then he doesn't have to respond; there's no impetus on him.

How many teachers answer a student's question with "Oh God these questions are getting boring"?

For second-hand stuff, yeah pretty much.

The eBay listings don't mention whether the device can route from RJ45 to RJ45, which is why I'm asking here.

Reply to
Tomás Ó h=C

Sounds like a Linksys WRT54G (but Netgear, D-Link, ... all have similar devices as well).

Christof

Reply to
Christof Meerwald

If the descriptions on eBay are the issue, then follow my earlier advice:

"If you have a manufacturer in mind, visit their web site, determine the model number of a suitable product, and continue your search on eBay."

Visit several manufacturer's web sites. Use their descriptions to identify models that meet your needs. Then shop on eBay or else where to find a router that you have already determined will meet your needs. A poor description on eBay will then not prohibit you from making an informed decision.

Reply to
News Reader

For second-hand stuff, yeah pretty much.

The eBay listings don't mention whether the device can route from RJ45

You have to use E-bay in conjunction with the other resources open to you on the internet. You always keep searching manufacturers, retail, and "comparison and review" pages in order to know what it is that you are buying and that you also get it for a reasonable price. I do a lot of shopping on e-bay and sometimes I can get just as good or better deal by going up the street to BestBuy. Key messages, use all your resources to get the best deal. Read, read, read.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob F.

There is much overpriced stuff on eBay, mostly I believe from people who don't know better, though it could be some hoping to make it big.

There are a lot of good deals, too.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I think you are absolutely right in both observations. I see a lot of items go for over the published retail price that one can easily find with even to most rudimentary look up. I attribute this to the shark theory, you know, they get excited and just start biting at anything. Sometimes they even go for way over the "Buy it now" price that can be found only a few lines away. You have to know the prices, set one for yourself and maintain discipline.

Reply to
Bob F.

But if you're in the US, just pick up a Sunday paper and check out the deals. SOMEONE will be selling a router/switch/wirelessAP for $30 or less most every week. Many times there are multiple choices.

BestBuy, CircuitCity, Staples, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Frys (they always seem to have deals), etc...

David

Reply to
DLR

only when the're morons and keep asking dumb questions....

yeah - can't find a Router that has a WAN port, 4 LAN ports, and Wireless - nope.... don't seem to be any out there -

OK - so where are you located - what country & what school ?

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.