Help configuring VLANs on HP Procurve 2824 switch

Our ISP is going to provide us with the following over one physical ethernet wire:

1. Internet access on VLAN 3854
  2. Private network to our branch location on VLAN 1024

I have a HP Procurve 2824 switch which we're using for gigabit connections between our servers.

How do I configure the 2824 switch to take the connection from our ISP and send the Internet connection to our firewall and the private network connection to another one of our switches?

On the switch, under VLAN configuration there is a DEFAULT_VLAN (primary) with VLAN ID 1. I've added two more: Internet (VLAN ID 3854) and Private (VLAN ID 1024).

I then Tagged port 2 (which is what I connected the Ethernet wire from our ISP into) for both VLAN IDs 3854 and 1024. I also tagged port 3 with VLAN ID 3854 and connected a wire from that port into our firewall. Lastly I tagged port 4 with VLAN ID 1024 and connected that to a computer with a static IP.

I was hoping that would work but it doesn't. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks.

Reply to
Bertram Chan
Loading thread data ...

Good.

ports 3 and 4 should not be tagged, as your firewall and server don't understand tagged packets. Just assign them to the appropriate vlan as a member port (not a tagged port)

Reply to
Daniel J McDonald

Thanks for the help but I'm not sure how to assign ports 3 and 4 to the appropriate vlan as a member port.

Right now VLAN ID 807 and VLAN ID 1024 both have Port 2 tagged. All the other ports are untagged.

Reply to
Bertram Chan

3 and 4 should be untagged, but associated with the appropriate vlan.
Reply to
Daniel J McDonald

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.