Gigabit Ethernet addition to LAN

I have a setup as follows:

LAN with a couple computers on them (one Windows XP and one Fedora Core) both with Fast Ethernet cards. These machines have Intenet connectivity via a Internet router. This router has a ethernet connection on the WAN side and a 4 port fast ethernet switch on the LAN side.

This has served me well, but I would like to upgrade the LAN to Gigabit ethernet speeds. I have looked for an Internet router with an integrated Gigabit switch on the LAN side, but have come up empty.

I was thinking I could just purchase a plain Gigabit ethernet switch, replace the fast ethernet cards with Gigabit ethernet cards, replace the Cat5 with Cat5E/6 and then plug the computers into the new Gigabit ethernet switch. And then plug the uplink port of the gigabit switch into one of the fast ethernet ports of the Internet router.

Should I still have Internet connectivity to the two computers but with the added benefit of now Gigabit ethernet speeds between the two machines on the LAN?

I just want to make sure I am not missing anything here.

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

Anonymous wrote in part:

This should work fine. Unless your runs are long/poor, you should not need to replace cable.

Yes, but I don't think you'll achieve anything like

1000 Mbit/s actual performance with ordinary PCI gigabit cards.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Might that be better stated as "with gigabit cards in ordinary PCI slots?"

It is my understanding that the 33MHz/32Bit PCI slots were a/the limiting factor and the Gigabit NICs themselves were in the last few years anyway) all at least 66MHz/64-bit capable (perhaps just 66MHz)

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Thanks for the help.

Of course, I would LOVE to get GbE speeds, but there are other limiting factors besides the PCI bus such as the speed of a single/non-RAIDed ATA HDs in my computers.

My realistic hope is to get a "significant" speed boost by going from fast ethernet on the LAN to GbE. Moving large files and backing up GBs of stuff across the LAN is quite time consuming at present.

Reply to
Anonymous

What you're going to achieve is to remove the network as bottleneck. I suspect that even if the network is going at full gigabit speed you'll see less improvement in throughput than you expect.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yup, that's the way to do it. I get about 200 megabits of bandwidth between the (fairly recent/powerful) machines on my gigabit segment, FWIW.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

(snip)

Gigabit was designed for Cat 5. If you are approaching the length limit you might worry about using Cat5E or Cat 6, otherwise you should be fine. Say less than 80m or so.

One you might check on is that the switch and NIC implement flow control. It might be that your internet connectivity runs slower, if the switch fills the buffers and drops packets.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Anonymous wrote in part:

How time consuming? What sort of bandwidth are you currently achieving, say in a large file xfr? If it's 10+ MByte/s, then your LAN may be limiting you. If it's slower, them most likely something else is the bottleneck. I often see different file transfer speeds in different directions, mostly likely due to OS/driver issues.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Yes.

Yes. The PCI bus has a burst bandwidth of 133 MByte/s, more than enough on paper for GBE. However, the bursts are of very limited lenght, and there is significant setup.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.