hhhheeeellllpppppppppp

Can somebody PLEASE write the formula for calculating "minimum frame size in Ethernrt"??? it's of crucial importance...

Reply to
g-ca I
Loading thread data ...

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thank you so much. However, the page discusses about maximum frame size, not minimum one :-( Can you help me about the minumum????

Reply to
g-ca I

see

formatting link

Please look at the above article VERY CAREFULLY.

Notice the column heading thatsays "Minimum Size Frame"

In memory teh minimum size Ethernet frame will be 64 bytes ( 60 bytes without CRC)

Minimum on the wire is as the article indicates 84 bytes.

Reply to
Merv

Yes, but the question I should answer asks for explanation why minumum frame size is needed and it also indicates that there was a formula from which the standard size of 64 bits was derived. And finaly it asks for the formula. With that formula I sholud also prove in a way that it is not posssible for smaller size... Somebody told me that he found the formula in Internet. So, now Im sure that the question is not tricky and that the formula exists. But I must found myself. And I can not :-( :-( :-(

Reply to
g-ca I

The reason a minimum frame size was/is to allow enough time for two stations at maximum distance from each other on an Ethernet bus-segment (read coax cable) so that the trasnmitting station can transmit a minimum size frame and the "receiving" station can detect a collision and have enough time to send a jam signal that the transmitting stations will receive (i.e know that a collision occurred).

This is known as the Ethernet slot time = 2 x 232 bits + 48 bits = 512 bits / 8 = 64 bytes

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.