did 10M/FullDuplex get "standardized?"

Random curiousity question - did 10 Megabit, Full-duplex Ethernet become part of an IEEE de jure standard?

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones
Loading thread data ...

Clause 4 of IEEE 802.3-2005, states toward the top:

--------Begin quote------- b) The full duplex mode of operation can be used when all of the following are true:

1) The physical medium is capable of supporting simultaneous transmission and reception without interference (e.g., 10BASE-T, 10BASE-FL, and 100BASE-TX/FX).

2) There are exactly two stations on the LAN. This allows the physical medium to be treated as a full duplex point-to-point link between the stations. Since there is no contention for use of a shared medium, the multiple access (i.e., CSMA/CD) algorithms are unnecessary.

3) Both stations on the LAN are capable of and have been configured to use full duplex operation.

--------End quote-------

Then you go to the end of Part 1, the 10 Mb/s part od the standard, and you see Annex 4A.

Annex 4A of IEEE 802.3-2005, starts out like this:

---------Begin quote-------------- NOTE-This annex is numbered in correspondence to its associated clause; i.e., Annex 4A corresponds to Clause 4.

Annex 4A

(normative)

Simplified full duplex media access control

This annex is based on the Clause 4 MAC, with simplifications for use in networks that do not require the half duplex operational mode. Additional functionality is included for managing physical layer congestion and for support of interframe spacing outside this sublayer. This annex stands alone and does not rely on information within Clause 4 to be implemented.

---------------End quote-------------------

So I'd say that de jure, the 10 Mb/s Ethernet is fully standardized as being capable of either CSMA/CD half duplex or full duplex operation, no different from any other Ethernet flavor.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Thanks.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.