data transmissoin system design

Hello, I am in need of some comm system advice......

I need to design a data communications system and I have limited previous knowledge and no previous experience so please HELP.

I have a 6 to 10km single mode fibre link between a camera module and a control consul. It needs 600+ Mbps upload (in small bursts) and general control signals download to the camera.

Since we need some transfer protocol to ensure reliable data transfer (and are on a limited budget) I though that 1Gb Ethernet cards would be suitable. What sort of percentage increase in data volume will the Ethernet packets create?

What are your thoughts, and do I have any other options regarding protocols ???????

Another problem is that we will be using other peoples fibre links. I have been assured that they are all good quality single mode fibres?? But we will not be guaranteed use of two fibres to allow duplex communication.

Does anyone know of a suitable dual wavelength (bidirectional) transceiver Ethernet card??

One alternative I was considering was some sort of forward error correction to allow simplex transfer of the uploaded data, but I think this will be much more complicated to implement than the Ethernet solution (and it needs a separate copper camera control line).

Thanks gc

Reply to
gc
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.