Comms Help

Hi all,

I need suggestions as to how to connect two computers together.

My transmission medium is one 6+ km length of singlemode fibre, on which I need to achieve bi-directional data transfer at approx 1Gb (Guaranteed

400Mb/s upload / 1Mb/s download). I think WDM seems to be the answer!

Some error checking or forward error checking protocol needs to be implemented into the data being transmitted, and one of the cpu board (transmitting at 400Mb/s) needs to be a small form factor and capable of accepting the 400Mb/s as a serial or parallel data stream.

I know i'm not asking much :)

Thanks for any suggestions

Reply to
gc
Loading thread data ...

Bonjour gc,

Is it really 1 fibre in duplex or 2 simplex fibres?

WDM if you have 1 duplex fibre

Perhaps it's better you see ATM in STM-16 (2.5 Gbit/s gross bit rate) in WDM. You have all the control and 0&M you need. Instead of ATM your can also see the new protocol GFP for carrying structured or unstructured (flow of bits) data over SDH.

What this in this context?

Regards, Michelot

Reply to
Michelot

Hardly. On a single fiber, a passive splitter is the most economic solution. Although this introduces an additional 6dB, this can be made up by long-haul optics if necessary.

Unless it is _really_ delay sensitive, I would go Gbit Ethernet and use TCP or lapb instead of reinventing the wheel.

Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

Curious, I don't see my comments. I repost again.

=======

Bonjour gc,

Is it really 1 fibre in duplex or 2 simplex fibres?

WDM if you have 1 duplex fibre

Perhaps it's better you see ATM in STM-16 (2.5 Gbit/s gross bit rate) in WDM. You have all the control and 0&M you need. Instead of ATM your can also see the new protocol GFP for carrying structured or unstructured (flow of bits) data over SDH.

What this in this context?

Regards, Michelot

Reply to
Michelot

Seems to be a fairly standard net/freebsd system using any Gbit-nic ( the disc might be limiting the above speed)

No. Standard software, standard hardware.

Reply to
phn

Can you do it half duplex? Though I am not sure how to do line turnaround even if you can. Maybe passive splitters and turn off the laser of the direction not being used.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.