Cisco error

Lets try this again; I have a network connecting three buildings using Cisco

2924XL-en switches. The switches are used and were just bought. I'm getting the following error. I've never used VLAN's before and don't plan on using them in this application. What's the best way to eliminate this error and configure the switches?????

%CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet1/1 (0), with OSLM-Hub2 FastEthernet1/1 (1).

Barry Streets

Reply to
Barry
Loading thread data ...

The "best" way is to match up the native VLANs so the error goes away. If that's not possible, use CDP version 1 as opposed to version 2. Version 1 does not check/care about native VLANs.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Hansang is right, but the answer may have been oversimplified. :)

What he is trying to say is that the vlans that the ports are in must be the same on both sides of the switch. Since you said that you don't intend to use vlans, I would assume that you just want everything in the same vlan and don't require multiple vlans for this installation. Since you have a native vlan mismatch, I could also assume that these two switches have tried to negotiate a trunk between them (normal since this is default behavior). Do this, return all ports to vlan 1. This will clear up your error message.

Better to fix the problem rather than treat the symptoms.

You should probably clean up some of the other things you don't need, like delete all the other vlans, or I suppose you could reset both switches back to factory defaults.

Reply to
Kevin Widner

It isn't a problem though. A lot of people like assigning distribution ports as access ports, putting them in one vlan. Then, that port links to a switch which will be "dumb", ie no management configured. Lets you use vlans without configuring the access switches. You will get this error if you go this route. The error is meaningless.

Reply to
ec

Can do no cdp advertise-v2 then. True with the logs.

Reply to
ec

In article , snipped-for-privacy@no.com says... [snip: cdp native vlan mismatch error]

It's not meaningless in that it fills up your log and you may miss something important.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

"Hansang is right, but the answer may have been" - overcomplicated. :-))

It sounds to me as if you should reset to factory defaults.

If you can log on and get to enable mode,

write erase reload

would do the job.

Otherwise search

formatting link
for [password recovery 2924XL] and follow the procedure. You will need a console cable and a PC with a 9 pin serial port and Hyperterminal. Uee 9600, 8, 1,None. "Break" is { Press and hold [Ctrl] key, press and release [Break] key, release [Ctrl] key }

Then do write erase, reload.

! ## Begin config script enable

configure terminal

enable secret my-enable-password

! Use your address and mask. interface VLAN1 ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

! Put portfast on all ports NOT connected to switches interface FastEthernet0/1 spanning-tree portfast

interface FastEthernet0/2 spanning-tree portfast

! .... rest of the required ports (interfaces) here.

line vty 0 4 exec-timeout 60 0 password my-telnet-password login

end

write mem ! ## End of configuration script

They may well work perfectly with NO configuration at all but the spanning-tree portfast thing can avoid some connectivity problems. The port will start to work after ~10 seconds instead of ~40.

All of the other entries are to allow telnet login to the box.

Reply to
AnyBody43

ON THE CISCO 2924-EN SWITCH. DISABLE CDP, THEN YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE GONE!

ENTER THIS COMMAND:

SWTICH(CONFIG-IF)# NO CDP ENABLE

IT IS A WELL-KNOWN ISSUE (NOT A PROBEM) OF CISCO CATALYST WS-C2924C MODEL WITH 4MB OR 8MB. YOUR CISCO SWITCH CAN RUN WITHOUT CDP.

ANDY

Reply to
andyou

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.